Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Im a new member and seen some good level headed advice so help. I have a 69SS I bought in 1984 and drove 6mos its been sitting for 14yrs in the barn. Finaly got it out and in work just had engine rebuilt bought new rear quarters and front fenders. Talked to a painter and he has opening in 4wks. I want to drive and paint at same time. I have waited this long but getting nervous.

------------------
Mike69SS
Fedex aircraft mechanic
Team Member #355
Horn Lake Ms.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well do I install the engine and drive a while or go for the paint Imagine not driving your chevelle for 14yrs.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
If your going to paint the engine compartment (inner fenders, firewall etc) the answer is clear. Motor stays out. If your just dressing up the outside, then drop it in. With a nice clean new motor I'd leave it out and do it right. New front fenders should be painted off the car. After 14 years whats another month or so. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Just my opinion...

You waited 14 years and a couple of more months won't hurt. It's an opportunity actually. Leave the engine out, and drop the tranny and everything else. Get in there and clean the heck out of everything and just remember to mark & bag all the parts that you take off. Then when you go to the paint shop, the body/paint guy can do a really good job of freshening everything up. A bit more time well spent now is worth the wait and the end result will be that much better. If it's possible, remove the interior too and clean up the floor etc... Get out a bucket of POR15 and go nuts!

BTW: I wouldn't drive a car that was stored for 14 years without going through everything from top to bottom. Double check all your lines and mae sure that everything else is in 100% serviceable condition.

------------------
The proud owner of a Canadian 64-SS with ZZ4 Power!
Chesterville, Ontario, Canada.
Team Chevelle Gold Member #37
Canadian Classic Chevelles & Beaumonts Member #350

WebSite www.magma.ca/~ssoltesz/steves/1964.htm

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
JBROWN, ditto Canuck's last piece of advice. I just bought a car that sat for 10+ and it really neede some attention to wiring,brakes, etc, before it was safe.

Although I'm doing my car accoriding to advice I got from pro restorers here, get all the mechanical stuff done and then paint, one neat advantage of not having the motor in is that, not only can you detail out your inner fenders, but you can shoot the firewall the body color.

I don;t know what the rule is, I 've heard guys say it's supposed to be semi gloss balck, but with my 67, as I began to prep the firewall, it was definitely original bolero red underneath. I'll have to keep it black, because the new engine goes in tomorrow and paint is still months ( and many paychecks) away.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Guys,
Ill wait its going to take him about 4 months to paint.I have most mechanical work done and interior removed, just tempted to drop it in with a driver seat and light up rear tires,its been a long time but I wont.

P.S. I drive a Toyota 4cyl.
Thanks for advice!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.