Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was hit recently by a woman who had no insurance (naturally). I have uninsured motorist. My insurance company, Farmers, wants to total out my 1987 Monte Carlo SS Aerocoupe! They claim the thing is only worth about $3500! Chevy only made 6700 of the darn thinng and they don't seem to see that it is somewhat rare.

I think the car, in good shape, is worth about $5000 (or more) which would give it enough value to be repaired instead of totaled. They seem to think that I will have no trouble finding another AeroCoupe for $3500. The rarity means nothing, just the
NADA value (whihc I think is grossly underrated).

Any help anyone on the board can give me will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
36 Posts
If you show the insurance company some ads of comparable cars you may have a better case. I have seen the rear glass go as high as $1400. Good luck

·
Administrator
16,204 Posts
If they think it can easily be replaced have them find you one in the same condition. You have the right to have your car repaired and they have to pay for it. If pushed they will back down. A friend of mine had his 78 Datsun pickup fixed by an insurance company that wanted to total it out and pay him $600.
Philip

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hi Greg, your Aerocoupe SS is worth more than that. An appraisal would have helped
but like me (I've got a mint 86 SS) I don't
have an appraisal on it just yet. Make a
case for them by (showing your pictures) and
researching 87 Monte SS's both the notchback and the funky Aerocoupe variety on the market for sale. Check out the ads on Autotrader online for that year print them out and present it to them. I've seen them as high as $10,000. As for finding another for, $3,500, who knows what condition it's in for that kind of price. Excellent condition Monte SS depending on the year are in the $6,000 and up price range. You can also let them know that these were the last full frame, rear wheel drive (A body derivitive) G body's produced. (Were talking coupe's here, I know the Impala SS was around after the G body got canned but their 4 door sedans).
Can you take the $3,500 and buy it back?
Good Luck...
Joe B

[This message has been edited by Joe B (edited 10-22-99).]

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
greg
dont let them do this to you,you monte is worth more than that!those rotten suns a bitc-es!I would fight this one.Iv seen aerocoupes near 8500 already!Im sure this car has alot of personal value also!I have a 86 pontiac grand prix aerocoupe-1600 and change made,If I was in your delema with my 2+2,I would fight to the end with these money bags!I also expect the prices of these cars to turn to the rising side,with year 2000 coming in a hurry.good luck,push,push push,hope you get your way,dont give up that great car!good day--67RAT member #199

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The only good thing is that she didn't break the rear glass!

She hit the car dead on the driver's taillight. Basically from the license plate around to the driver's door is crunched. The body shop (that Farmer's sent me to, naturally) says it will take over $3500 to repair all the damage.

BTW, the woman (20 yrs old, of course) does not own the car she was driving. Its her parents. They had the insurance cancelled 9/27 for non-payment. They had also months ago signed a rider saying that the girl was not to be driving the car. So not only was their insurance cancelled, she wasn't supposed to be driving the car in the first place.

Moral of this story, even if you don't drive a $25000 1970 LS6 Chevelle, if your car is just uncommon and worth a few bucks to enthusiasts, archive a bunch of pics and get a qualified estimate from a collector when its in good shape. Just in case you find yourself in similar straits.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Umm, you might check into small claims court. I'd sue the girl and her parents since they owned the car. The court costs are under $50. Never know.

------------------
DG
Springfield, Ohio
70 Chevelle Malibu

www.wright.edu/~adams.6/chevy.htm
TEAM Chevelle Member #0086
Genx member (Founder 4 Ohio)

·
Gold Founding Member
978 Posts
my experience with small claims court is that even if you get a judgemnet, collecting is often a futile effort...

when i totalled my 79 grand prix then let me keep the car but reduced their liability to 80% of the cash they would have given me if the car was to be turned over to them...
i was a kid and didnt know any better but i would hold my ground with them...
i am assuming you have an "actual cash value" policy now...of course they want you to think that they can determine the actual cash value without input from you...not so if you can show them that cars in same condition are selling for more than their 3500 figure...if you take anyone to court it should be the insurance company if they dont give you a reasonable settlement but only if you can prove that their figure is not appropriate

i hate dealing with insurance companies..remember that their adjusters are looking out for them not you...wish you the best of luck..keep us posted...we are interested to know how this comes out!

------------------
Rich
Cocoa Beach, Fla
Team Chevelle #380
[email protected]
www.chevelles.com/showroom/70_SS_454.jpg

·
Registered
341 Posts
Small claims court usually has a limit on how much you can sue for, and that doesn't guarantee you will ever collect the money. Try these two sites for vehicle appraisels:
www.vmrintl.com
www.kbb.com
You can adjust for mileage and options as needed. Your insurance man will always try to buy you off for a lowball price but as prev indicated, you don't have to accept his first offer.

------------------
Team Chevelle Gold #33
ACES Member #02913
Chevelle Club of Michigan
Livonia, Michigan / USA
Rode shotgun in the only Z16 convertible made.

·
Registered
167 Posts
It may be too late, and I know this is hard, but be as polite as you can to your contact at the insurance company. They could care less about you and your car, and if you come off as a prick, they will give you as little as they can. On the other hand, the best place to find out what you can do for options, is an employee of the same insurance company. If you explain that you fell the car is worth more, and ask them what other people in your situation have done, you may get some surprising responses. The values the ins company uses are negotiable! If it's too late for this, threaten them or the girl's parents with legal action. Ask a lawyer what kind of case you have against them. Here in Wisconsin, the owner of the vehicle is ultimately responsible for anything that happens to / with it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.