Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having a lot of trouble after installing my B&M Pro Ratchet shifter, and after taking out the ac box on the firewall.

The battery wont hold a charge, I will jump it and let it run, then when it gets shut off, it wont start again. Whenever I put a charger on the battery, this box attatched to the drivers side of my car (to the right of the radiator) will start to "buzz" and when I take the charger off, it will stop buzzing. Here is a picture of the box I am talking about, the smaller box on the right: http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/stupidsiter/my_photos Is this the voltage regulator? Another weird thing is when I turn my steering wheel, the same box will make a clicking sound...any help on what this box is, and if that is the problem. And help will be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
The pic won't load, but yes, that's the voltage reg. on the drivers side core support.

You may have 2 issues, a steering column wire loom problem, voltage regulator, and a bad battery, alt, grounds, etc.

Take the battery out of the car, and trickle charge it. A new regulator is ~$10-14. Have thew alt tested at an auto parts store (usually free).

Check your battery cables for corrosion, the hot wire to the core support lug, and the wires at the voltage regulator. A broken wire at the regulator is usually a burnt fusable link.

I usually eliminate as many potential problems as I can before starting to trouble shoot.

Is the column original or something swapped in?

Mine did that when I changed to a 712 Steering column. Turned out to be a bad wire at the alt, and a bad regulator.

·
Gold Founding Member
63,807 Posts
The big one is the VR and the smaller one is the horn relay.

Which one is buzzing?

might just try unplugging or disconnecting all the wires from the horn relay except the ones that are on the "BAT" terminal just as a test.

Another posibility is that the Voltage Regulator is the one buzzing and the Horn Relay is the one clicking.

:confused:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok...I checked everything again, and I disconnected the horn relay, and now nothing is buzzing or clicking. I am now trickle charging the battery, and my battery terminals are very clean. Im not sure what the "hot wire to the core support lug" is, and the wires at the regulator are fine (there are four of them). I wish I could say if this was the original column, I think it was.

Also, what should the output be of a charged battery? Before I put it on trickle charge, I put the charger on 30 amp charge, and kept it on for about 10 minutes. I then used a multi-meter to measure the volts, and it started at 12.45V but it keeps dropping .01V about every 10 seconds or so, now its down to about 12.15V. Is this normal? Thanks again for everyones help.

·
Gold Founding Member
63,807 Posts
The lug on the core support is the main power feed wire from the battery that goes from there to the "BAT" terminal on the Horn Relay, then from there to the fuse box and circuit breakers through fusible links.

I think as far as the voltage reading from a battery goes, first you have to give it a full charge, then let it set disconnected for at least overnight to shed it's "surface charge" before you check the voltage.
I always figure if a battery that has been setting disconnected for a day or two has 12 volts minimum, it's a good battery but I also use a fast rate discharge tester.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts