Chevelles.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well yesterday I was giving my Chevelle's motor a "once over" and noticed that the little "wire harness" that goes along the top of the firewall (above the distributor) was hanging and digging into the spark plug wires on the distributor cap. So I traced the wires down and realized I didn't need majority of the wires because they were for my air conditioning unit which was yanked a while back. Well to make a long story short, I kinda got carried away and took more wires out, BUT noticed that a yellow/baige looking wire was attatched/electrical taped with the purple hot wire that goes down to the starter. Well I noticed that wire wasn't connected, and I know I didn't cut it because I made sure to separate the good from the "bad" wires. That yellowish looking wire goes down with the purple wire and I'm assuming is also hooked up to the starter, but the motor still turns on. What do you guys think that wire is for? Is it for that third wire hook up on the starter that isn't really needed, (even though I have it connected). TIA everyone for helping out.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
The yellow wire provides 12 volts FROM the starter/solenoid TO the coil in the START mode for a points ignition. Without that wire you have about 8 volts to the coil from the resistor wire in the key switch START position.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by John_Muha:
The yellow wire provides 12 volts FROM the starter/solenoid TO the coil in the START mode for a points ignition. Without that wire you have about 8 volts to the coil from the resistor wire in the key switch START position.
Would that matter if my distributor was converted to a magnetic pick up? I've got an MSD 6AL box and blaster 2 coil.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
What brand of distributor do you have or what brand of conversion module is inside it?

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The distributor is the stock/original one off my 307. As for the module, I have no idea, the guy who I had origianlly build my motor about 5 years ago, before I knew anything about motors, converted and installed the module.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I'm guessing then it shouldn't be a problem. I've been able to turn it on and drive normally. If I'm wrong, please let me know that way I can fix any potential problem. Thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts