Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My driver's side door is stuck shut - when the lock button was pushed down, it locked the door. However, when the button is pulled up, the door is stuck in the lock position, so it won't open from the inside or outside door handles. I think he locking mechanism went bad, but I have to remove the door panels to fix it. But I can't remove the door panels, because I can't open the door! Can anyone suggest a way to get the door open? Any help is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Bummer!

Try taking your passenger door apart, and looking at the locking mechanism. You may be able to figgure out a way to get in behind the driver door pannel either behind the glass or something, and get it unlocked.

Do let us know more about your car. What year, etc?

·
Registered
777 Posts
Slim Jim!!!
Local law enforcement should have one, if not there are suppliers that do. I don't know about our sponsor, GroundUP, but I know Year One has them.

------------------
Madness takes it's toll, please have exact change.

Fred
'70 Chevelle
www.geocities.com/motorcity/shop/9385/1970Chevelle.html

·
Registered
548 Posts
Wind the window down look down inside you should see the lock mechanism.Look for the rod from the inside handle or the plunger from out side...FRED

------------------

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Quick and dirty: if you don't have a slim jim use a flimsy ruler, like an artist or draftman would use, or any other flexible length of steel/alum that's an inch or so wide. Cut a litle hook at one end and go fishing! I had to pull a McGiver one night and this deal worked like a charm.

Then you can fix the lock lever at your leisure.

------------------

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all for your help! I was able to get a slim jim, and with some jiggling and yanking, I was able to pull the locking mechanism up and open the door. Thank you all for your advice!

Matt

·
Registered
622 Posts
Ain't this site great ?? I love it when a recommendation works.

------------------

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.