Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everbody,
I'm disassembling a column I picked up from a 72, it's non-tilt, but I can't figure out how to release the ignition lock.

How do I do it?

------------------
Rick
72 Malibu
98 Fatboy
Team Chevelle Member #369

·
Registered
13,041 Posts
This one is tough to explain. First, everything above the ignition switch has to come off. There is a tiny slot for inserting a fine small blade screwdriver into at the backside (?) of the switch to depress a little tab which releases the switch. Sometimes on columns that have never had the switch removed, this slot is solid and must be broken open first. I can show you in a heartbeat, but it is hard to explain. Can some one explain it better for us?

------------------
Tom Parsons

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks DZ, I finally got it, I was at the right spot, though I couldn't tell. The cylinder was just stuck though.

And your right, it would be hard to desribe exactly where you have to break through. Luckily mine was slightly open to begin with, so I started opening that slot up.

·
Registered
934 Posts
First time I heard of a "Virgin" steering column.

I'll be doing this same job soon. Thanks for not only answering my question, but also asking it!

------------------
Bob (Pa.)

1963 Impala 283
1966 Chevelle SS 409
1969 Malibu 307
1972 Malibu 307
1969 Chevy stepside 350

Bob's 409 Chevy Page

silverstone.fortunecity.com/tvr/246/bob_s_409_chevy_page_index.html

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Dean,
I saw the archive, but without a pic, it was hard to figure out. Especially since the lock was tight, I wasn't sure I was at the right place, I could feel the tab push in but the lock still wouldn't release. It was just stuck. With a little careful prying it finally came out. The whole column is now apart and soaking in parts cleaner. I'll paint it up tonight and reassemble it tomorrow.

P.S. Thanks Gene. You posted while I was composing this one

[This message has been edited by rlhelton (edited 10-10-99).]

·
Gold Founding Member
63,691 Posts
Guess I never did put your picture up Gene, I remember I was trying to figure out how to put a picture in the archives cause we never did it before.
It's there now though, hope I did it right

OK Al ?

------------------
Dean Call
Overland Park KS
Team Gold member #3
A.C.E.S. # 00235
N.C.O.A. # 4350

macc.chevelles.net

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.