Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The car has a semi-mild 454 with 9:1 comp. and the cam= .228/.228 @ .050. The motor normaly runs great and has a smooth idle. The 67 Chevelle is stripped and is used for only racing. I let the car sit for 2 months and last week I pulled it out and cleaned up the holley 850 carb. My problem is that now it is running WAY TOO rich and the motor lopes like it has a full race cam in it. At idle it just pours out black smoke from the header. I have looked into the carb and I can't see any gas dropping. i just don't know where all the fuel is coming from. I tried to race it friday but it was just too much black smoke. It actually launched good but then fell on its face. I changed the power valve once but nothing changed. I was told to find the lopeing problem because maybe I didn't have enough vacuum to close the power valve. If you guys have any ideas I would really appreciate the help.
Thanks ahead of time.
Will / N.B. Tx.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Sounds like fuel level problems such as a little dirt stuck between the needle and seat or just requires float adjustment. A good indication of this is wet throttle plates.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
kevin, it does the same thing even when the fuel pump is turned off and i let the gas run out.
thanks again, will

·
Registered
527 Posts
Sounds like dirt is in your idle and main air bleeds. These are located next to the squirter. Try blowing compressed air threw all eight. Be careful as fuel may blow out the vent tube.As I recall your powervalve rating should be 2" below your manifold vacuum.If blowing out the air bleed does not resolve the problem and floats are properly adjusted sounds like rebuild time and a good cleansing.It is common to suck dirt into the air bleeds when not running an air cleaner.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Keeps doing this with no fuel flow? I'd say get a kit and rebuild carb. By the numbers, check everything as you go. Might be a dried up gasket, gum in the power valve or jet somewhere. Hard on cylinders when very rich. tom

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.