Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How wide is the front of the 70 Chevelle from outside of tire to tire? Uhaul has dolies, and the require:
Swivel platform dolly: The vehicle being towed may have a maximum tire width of 72".
Early-model rigid dolly: The vehicle being towed may have a maximum tire width of 67 1/2".
Late-model rigid dolly: The vehicle being towed may have a maximum tire width of 69 1/2".
Will mine fit?

------------------
Scott, 20
Denton/Dallas, 70 Chevelle Malibu
May the force be with you..

·
Administrator
16,196 Posts
My 64 with 235/70R15's on 6" rally wheels measures 69". Given that the rear end is over an inch wider on your 70, I'm sure the front is also. I would suggest going with the 72" dolly.

------------------
Philip Valentine
Gold Member #42
"Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after another."
[email protected]

·
Registered
177 Posts
I'm not sure if the bolt pattern is the same but you might try a couple of modern type spare tires. They are narrower and shorter which might help cheat the wind and get you on a narrower dolly. Good luck!

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
According to the 1970 Chevelle data sheets from Chevrolet the front tread width is 60.0 inches (*see note) for all Chevelle models assuming the original tries sizes E78 to G78x14 and original wheels. If they have been changed then this number most likely will be larger.

*NOTE - One thing that is not clear from the dimensions chart is if this is the Outside Dimension or the C/L to C/L of tire dimension, but it appears to be the OD.

The overall width from front fender to front fender is 75.5 inches.

·
Premium Member
3,804 Posts
When you're towing older, wider cars like a Chevelle, *MAKE SURE THE DOLLY FENDERS DO NOT COME IN CONTACT WITH THE CHEVELLE'S FENDERS!* I have heard some horror stories about tow dollies banging into the fenders of the car being towed as the dolly shifts around corners. Be careful! I ended up using Uhaul's Auto Transport Trailer (flatbed trailer) to tow my 70 SS. Actually, I towed it all the way from California to Wisconsin behind my Land Cruiser, made the drive with my dad in less than 3 days. Don't ask me about that trip.
Good luck whatever you decide.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.