Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is our problem , When we turn on our right turn signal our left brake light goes out completely , we can't figure this one out . Thanks in advance .
T&K Modesitt
68 Chevelle Malibu

·
Premium Member
1,745 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by T&K:
This is our problem , When we turn on our right turn signal our left brake light goes out completely , we can't figure this one out . Thanks in advance .
T&K Modesitt
68 Chevelle Malibu
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Most likely dirty/worn contacts in your turn signal switch (behind the steering wheel)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
all are cleaned and still no change , the right blinker still works and the left brake light still goes out .

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Bad ground in the stop/tailight circuit. Be sure that BOTH tailight sockets have a good connection to their respective ground wire and that the common ground wire is properly connected to a corrosion free point. On the 70 Chevelle, this point is in the trunk, near the latch unit.

------------------
MalibuJerry350
TC Member #1279
Original owner '70 Chevelle.
568,000+ miles on car.
Hey, if it's got wheels, DRIVE IT!
My Chevelle: http://hometown.aol.com/erie614/myhomepage/index.html

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
Mine does the exact same thing!

I just noticed this a few weeks ago. Just on the opposite side. I'm going to see about if the tailights are grounded correctly.

·
Premium Member
1,745 Posts
Since it is a 68, the ground for the tailights is made by the socket plugging into a metal housing, and not a separate wire. One thing to consider with this setup it that the rear quarter extention (the body piece that houses the tailight) also has to have a good ground connection to the quarter panel. I believe this is achieved through the mounting hardware (4 nuts that hold the extension to the quarter panel). I'm not sure how the factory guarenteed a good ground connection between these parts, but in a restoration, I would think if these parts are painted seperately, and reaassembled after all the painting is done, the potential for a bad ground is there. Maybe a star washer under one of the nuts would take care of it?

·
Registered
659 Posts
I would have to vote for the turn signal switch.

If the switch is like the one in mine, there are a bunch of contacts which can get bent. all the power for the front and rear signal/brake lights runs through the switch and if any of the contacts are not aligned, all kinds of funny things can happen (lights comming on or going off at wrong times).

------------------
Charles Perrell
[email protected]
65 malibu SS Convertible
283 2v powerglide

1 - 8 of 8 Posts