Team Chevelle banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of installing a new cam in a 454. I removed the fuel pump in order to get the cam out.
Now I am not sure about the correct procedure to install the pump again after the new cam is in. All my books just say hold the pump rod in the engine up and slide the pump in. If I hold it up how can I slide the pump in with my index finger in there? Another thing: The pump actuator doesn´t move, it´s kind of solid on the pump, is this correct? Thought it should move freely in and out to pump fuel? However the pump was working fine always. There was even dropping fuel out of the open carb lines when I turned the engine or cam over.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
Lube up the shaft with cam lube, put it into the engine, and then slide the actuator onto the rod. It's kind of a J-stroke move . The actuator should be hard to push. It has a healthy spring in there. Just make sure the cam lobe is on the up stroke, so you won't have to compress the actuator too much.

John

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
O.k. I put the pushrod into the freezer for one hour, then applied assembly lube to it. As it was cold the lube was kind of stiff, so the pushrod stayed right up against the lower part of the camshaft lobe. Fuel pump installation then was easy. Of course the first time I forgot the gasket, the second time it was upside down, but the third time everything worked out very well. Thanks again guys.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I know on sb's, there is a trick to make this easy. There is an accessory bolt hole on the front of the block, right in of the fp boss. I'm not sure if bb's have this. Can't you use one of the fp mounting plt bolts (or same size bolt) and thread it through that acc hole to hold the fp rod in place, 'til you get the fp bolts started?

I'm just curious, cause I'll being going through this shortly, also.

·
Premium Member
9,151 Posts
No,bigblocks don't have the hole your talking about.On real old small blocks that was a front mounted motor mount bolt hole.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts