Team Chevelle banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Maxtor Personal storage 3200 external hard drive, little bit older of a one. However I got confused and plugged it into the wrong AC adapter. Now its front green light blinks rapidly, the disks do not spin. Aparently this means defective internal power supply, I have called seagate about it and they said defective hard drive, and theirs nothing that can be done my warranty on it is also up.... I know theirs got to be something someone can do, all it sounds like it needs a new electric motor or chip inside... Ive heard of people making their own maybe I can do somthing similar?

All our family photos are on it so I really need the data.

I called about data recover but its like $400 to $700 bucks, holy hell....

Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
1972 Chevelle SS 454 M22
1,815 Posts
Maybe you can buy one just like it off of E-Bay if it is older one...and swap out the motor and other stuff..just leave the interal disks intact?

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats a good idea, Ill take it apart and see if its possible, since the warranty is up anyways.

I thought maybe I coul take it out of its case and just plug in like a internal drive would be inside, but again i got to look at whats it like inside

I think I have backup discs of everything on it now that I think about it. But still it would be great for it to be fix to make sure I got everything

·
Registered
391 Posts
The drive should be a regular drive once you get into it. Hopefully you just smoked the adapter board and the drive is OK.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
open the case, take the drive out, plug it into your computer as a slave. Get yourself a new external HD, and copy everything from the slave over. Then either keep the slave, or destroy it.

An external HD is nothing more than a regular HD(either sata or IDE) a box, and an adapter that goes from one transport type to another. Chances are you could find an external HD Case on ebay for less than $20, and just swap your HD into the new case.

Now if you attempt any of these and the HD does not spin up, then your HD is kaput!!..
Big D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts