Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. I'm new at this, both Team Chevelle (which I'm very impressed with, Al) and building Chevelles. I'm working on building a 71 Malibu with my son. We're going to make an SS clone, not to concours quality, just a nice daily driver.
Does anyone know if we can shed the original seat belts and install 3 point "modern" setup. If so, what will fit? Also, do you know of anyone who makes a trunk carpet (cut to fit) instead of the vinyl mats available. Any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Yeah, this site is great. Make sure that you take full advantage of it. It has a ton of resourses. As for the seat belts I don't know. For the trunk carpet I would check with ACC, they might have it.

------------------
Bryan Shook
Burgettstown, Pa
1972 El Camino

·
Registered
37 Posts
Uncle,

Not too sure how original you want to keep the car, but Ground Up restorations, the sponsor of this site has the correct trunk mats that go in the car, but they are not carpet.

If you're going to go with the 3 point seat belts, you'll have to be prepared to weld brackets on your posts since their is no provision for them behind the trim.

·
Premium Member
9,796 Posts
The 3 point seat belts may be possible . I have been looking at the hardware in the local yards. I think that it is possible to convert the '72 system to 3 point by using the blade part of a 3 point belt system with the stock '72 retractors. The problem , I think , will be with finding someone to do the sewing on a safety related assembly. New cloth belting would be needed. Hence, another supplier problem. But I am working on it slowly.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.