Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My cowl induction shuts instead of opens. When i step on the gas it tries to close. I was looking at my CI setup. There is a T in the line comming from the actuator near the carb. Is that suppose to be there. And i dont have a check valve on it. What could possible be making it close. I have posted this topic before but i did not give all the informantion Sorry about it team chevelle.
Please reply. Any info would help.
thanks
Brandon

·
Registered
233 Posts
Brandon,I believe your problem is you do not have a check valve.A check valve let the vaccum travel one way.Seems to me without the valve your is going to keep pulling vaccum which will keep pulling the door shut.Hopefully someone else can give more exact answer.

Ray

------------------
Ray Griffin
70 LS6

·
Premium Member
2,658 Posts
Sounds more like it has a check valve but its installed backwards. The check valve is not needed for the CI set up, there is a valve that functions as more of a regulator that should be used. A check valve wont do the job. I run mine without either but some here will say to use the correct valve. But, hey, I dont even use any of the electrical hardware either so I'm no purist, I just want good cold air flow.

Another thought, your CI may be teed into the same side of a check valve as your Heat/ac vacumn supply line which does need a check valve. If thats the case just tee your CI into the line on the other side of the check valve.

------------------
Elcaminos are special!

I'd rather walk around with a Chevrolet hubcap in my hand than drive a Ford

work in progress
Big James Elky(AKA Ol Paint)
another shot of Ol Paint

[This message has been edited by Big James 4XL (edited 02-17-2001).]

·
Registered
1 Posts
Cowl Induction flaps run on Manifold Vacuum. The vacuum is highest with throttle closed, then reduces when you hit the gas. Thus the cowl induction flap will be closed at idle and open when you floor it. Manifold vacuum comes off the base of the carb or the manifold. Yours sounds like it is on Carb vacuum, found high on the carb, it has no vacuum at idle, but gets vacuum when you open the throttle. The check valve is actually a restrictor valve. If you use a check valve, the cowl induction will not work. It is designed to have the hood flap spring open quickly, then slowly close as you accerlerate.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.