Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys.
I would like to hear youre tips on the choise of torque converter for my application.

Info:

69 chevelle "full weight"
12bolt rear end in prosses of changing to 3.73 ratio from 3.08 hoping this will help the car some of the line.
th 400 transmission currently running a "pressision converter advertised at 1350 stall * Blush* currently installing a new stand alone trans cooler.
engine is a fresh build 396 i have had it dynoed . but we didnt start the pull before 2500rpm so i dont know how much torque it is making before that. at 2600 rpm its making 430 ft lb and peaks at 3200 rpm with 445 ft lb.

The engine is a + 0.30 396 with new speedpro pistons l2240 felpro 0.49 gasket the heads are 3904390 adv 96cc that are stock but milled down + new seats. i hope we are around 10:1 in comp.
Edelbrock c396 intake holley 3310 carb headman 1 3/4 " full length headers onto mandrel bend 2,5" dual pipes with magna flow mufflers. Lunati 60202 carb and hei distributor.

Currently running on 305/30-20 rear street tyres.

I am located in Norway so its not so easy to just try something from summit. i want to buy one and be happy:)
the car is not a daily driver or a strip car . i dont want a converter that flashes up to 3500 and is compleatly worthless but i want it to be easy when i want it to be and then if i tell it to it should smoke the tyres. I have called a few makeres in the US and got some ideas on what to buy but who better to ask but the guys who drives these cars and have done so for 40 years :)
ps i dont want to buy a 100$ converter or a 1000$ . i want something that is good and lasts and is not shattering my wallet :)

Need anymore info let me know :)

·
Registered
433 Posts
It looks like your rear tire is only around 27 inches in diameter. This tire with your 3.73 gears is going to put the rpm's at around 2800 at 60 mph or 95kpm. Are you ok with this? You could call lunati and ask for their suggestions. I would think you wuld want something in the 2200-2400 rpm range.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This car almost never see the freeway its my go into town and scare ppl on side walk. The 3.08 dosent go enough ? and yes 60 will be around 2750. The car mainly goes 40-50mph? ye maybe i should call lunati. When i call and ask the converter manu they ask to few question i feel

·
Premium Member
1,975 Posts
This car almost never see the freeway its my go into town and scare ppl on side walk. The 3.08 dosent go enough ? and yes 60 will be around 2750. The car mainly goes 40-50mph? ye maybe i should call lunati. When i call and ask the converter manu they ask to few question i feel
Yes, be prepared to answer many questions...this will get you what you need.

·
Registered
6,199 Posts
I would be worried that the Rear Tires would rub on the outside/Fender Lip if/when going around a corner

Good idea with the separate Trans Cooler, I have one for mine .

I had a new Dynamic R&S 9.5" 3500 Stall Converter in my TH 400 that would fry the Tires when cruzin at 40 MPH
but it was too lose and burnt up a good Trans within 1,500 miles/a year of driving and Track Time
I then installed a new TCI # 24091 2400 - 2600 Stall Converter in the newly rebuilt TH400
TCI 240901: 11" Breakaway Torque Converter 1965-91 GM TH350/TH400 | JEGS $ 363.xx us TCI 11" Breakaway
Dual Bolt Pattern / Non Lock-up / 168-Tooth / with Front Anti-Balloning Plate
it has been in the Trans since May 2009 and is still making the car cruz on the street
and run down the track for 7,934 Miles with no problems .

Will burn up the Tires only at 30 Miles an hour or less cruzin now

See my sig for more details

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The tyres clears the fender lip and i have driven it for 1,5 years with no. Trouble. Funny you bring this converter up. Tci told me to choose 24900 the same as listed without anti baloon. But why not spend 40$ more like u said and get the 24901. Is it smooth when you are easy on the trottel or?

·
Registered
6,199 Posts
The tyres clears the fender lip and i have driven it for 1,5 years with no. Trouble. Funny you bring this converter up. Tci told me to choose 24900 the same as listed without anti baloon. But why not spend 40$ more like u said and get the 24901. Is it smooth when you are easy on the trottel or?
Sorry Aleksander just saw this

Yes and no slippage that I can feel when cruzin on the hwy or in town etc.

The 3500 stall one that burnt up my TH400 I could feel it slipping going down the hwy at 70 mph

1 - 8 of 8 Posts