Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I haven't posted in a while, but now I need some major help.

I recently purchased a 3310-2 carb at a garage sale for $25 (!) and rebuilt it. I had no problems rebuilding it, as it was not my first Holley rebuild. I have it on my '66 right now. Here's the problem...

The engine ran fine for a day or two and now, it has began to miss out of the carb. Sputtering and backfiring (just small stuff, no fireballs or anything) out of the carb on acceleration, and it's not as bad during normal operation (not accelerating) or during deceleration, or even at idle.

It's almost to the point that it's undrivable!

Here are some specs...

355, 9.1:1, Crane hydraulic cam, .470/.470, 226* @ .050, Performer intake, HEI ignition.

When I rebuilt the carb, I didn't have any neat spare stuff (Jets, secondary springs, etc.) so I just reused the stuff that was in it. It has 66 primary jets, and a metering block secondary system, but I don't know how to identify the size of it.

Also, just as a side note, this carb was pulled off of an engine almost 15 years ago, and was drained. The inside of the carburetor was just as clean as the inside of my carburetor that had less than 4000 miles on it, and I still cleaned it as profusely as I could.

Can anybody please help??

------------------
Nick
Proud owner of a 66 Malibu -
355, four speed, 3.08 pegleg

14.94 @ 93.75 (Needs work, I know)

<A HREF="http://www.public.iastate.edu/~amcarthu" TARGET=_blank>
Andy and Nick's Muscle Car Half-way House</A>

·
Boldly procrastrinating
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
29,179 Posts
Nick,

That carb will need at a 70 in the front, maybe a 72. However, if it ran good for a day or two, that's probably not the issue here. Look for a vacuum hose or something accidentally changed during the install process. Put the jets back to what they're supposed to be and see what happens.

Tom

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
You may have something in the needle and seat or have blown a power valve. Are the plugs fouled? Did it backfire? Did you install a new fuel filter? The fact that the car ran fine for a day indicates that something happened to cause it to run badly and that it most likely was not the rebuild itself. I hope you didn't use teflon tape on the fuel line, if you did it is most likely the needle and seat giving you problems.

Steve R.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.