Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,
I have what I think is an exceptional 65 Elky for sale in the classifieds. I also have it posted on another site and I have not received a single inquiry about the car. Would you take the the time to view the ad and tell me why my car won`t sell. If you think it is priced too high or it`s not cool, or it`s the wrong color, whatever, please share your straight up opinion. Please be sure to click on the link at the bottom of the page for tons of pics. On the photobucket page also go to page 2 for more pics of the Elky.
If you want look, at all the other pics for some of my junk......48 chopped top Ford, 41 Willys, 57 T bird. Thanx, Bob Myers

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
El Camino`s are a hard sell anytime. Looks like a nice car. Color is not for everyone and probably not the best seller. I would not have put the 2 colors together myself, but then thats me. You liked it and that matters until you try to sell it. JMHO

·
Premium Member
17,924 Posts
Location can effect sales also.

·
Registered
6,399 Posts
Looks like a nice car - I can't speak for the price, I don't know. But I'd bet it just needs to have the right person see it.

Comments:
Paint looks pretty cool - but it's different, and may not be for everyone.
No thumbnail right at the ad - could make a difference in having people take an initial look.
The link to pics has all kinds of stuff with the El Camino. What's part of the ad, what's not? ALL the pictures at the link in the ad should be only for the El Camino IMO.
Not sure I like the words "Pro Tour" in the ad, it may hurt more than help.

Nice car for sure - again, I think you just need to wait for the right person to come along.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Don't see any link to an ad or pictures, but read in the above posts of two tone and different paint scheme. First thing I think when I look at anything besides a nice single color paint job is how much work will I have to do to re-paint. I would hate to buy a car and know up front that I need to spend another thousand or two and a few months of work to re-paint. I also see the words pro street used. if this is a pro street car, it is a trend from the past and not much in demand today. That can really hurt sales opportunities.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Looks Like A Nice Car....theres An Ass For Every Seat..might Take Awhile(economy Sucks)

·
Registered
6,399 Posts
I also see the words pro street used. if this is a pro street car, it is a trend from the past and not much in demand today.
LOL, like I said - the words "Pro Tour" might hurt more than help.

·
Registered
240 Posts
It looks well enough done. The color combo doesn't do much for me. But like has been said. Sometimes you just have to wait for the right buyer to come along. This also is not the best ecomomy to be trying to sell a car in. Espicially one that will be more a toy than a daily driver.

·
Premium Member
4,266 Posts
From where I sit, the color is not helping and the price is high for an EL Camino. You might get that for a Chevelle but not an Elco. Your location isn't helping either. It's easy to put more money into a vehicle than you can get out of it.

·
Premium Member
1,331 Posts
It looks nicely done but some things to consider...

- Priced too high, in reality you might get something in the teens. El Camino's don't command big bucks no matter how much money you put into it. Personally, if I were going to spend that kind of money I'd rather buy a nice SS Chevelle.

- El Camino's are not as popular Chevelles so you have limited group of buyers out there

- Yours is seriously customized, 2 tone paint, etc, it is tougher to find a buyer who will have the same taste

- The economy downturn or recession and outrageous gas prices aren't helping either

- Put some pic's in the ad itself, some people skip over ads without pics, won't even take the time to read the ad or click the link

Hang in there. When you price it right it'll sell, everything does.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanx guys, keep it coming. I really appreciate the candid {ouch] input. I took out the "pro tour, I can`t get my pics to load in the classified, I get a input. message "file too big". I can`t seem to drag any over from photobucket either, so I`m basically screwed there.
For my info. why is "pro tour:" a downer? About the color, the pics don`t do it justice and I like it so much if it never sells because of it, I`m totally ok with that. It was totally black for 6 years and I wanted brighter.
Again, thanx, I would enjoy more critique. Bob m.

·
Premium Member
7,571 Posts
It looks nicely done but some things to consider...

- Priced too high, in reality you might get something in the teens. El Camino's don't command big bucks no matter how much money you put into it. Personally, if I were going to spend that kind of money I'd rather buy a nice SS Chevelle.

- El Camino's are not as popular Chevelles so you have limited group of buyers out there

- Yours is seriously customized, 2 tone paint, etc, it is tougher to find a buyer who will have the same taste

- The economy downturn or recession and outrageous gas prices aren't helping either

- Put some pic's in the ad itself, some people skip over ads without pics, won't even take the time to read the ad or click the link

Hang in there. When you price it right it'll sell, everything does.
I agree with everything he said....
It looks like a nice car- but its just not a $25k car.

I'd remove some of those undercarrage photos- They don't do anything to help sell the car.
Everytime I see that Gloss Black POR15 stuff on an undercarrage it makes me think its hiding rust... weather it is rusty or not, buyers will be thinking the same thing.

For the kind of money you are asking, you should take some time to get GOOD high quality photos of the outside of the car from all the different angles, instead of just a handful of driveway pics.

In the ad- let the car speak for itself, leave out the unnecesarry details. Someone willing to pay what $25k for the car will know the right questions to ask.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Just has to turn the right guys crank and it will sell. I dont care for the paint . The dash and seats dont seem to fit the car , But it was done right .

·
Administrator
15,811 Posts
I like the color and the way the car was built, but I do not have $25k. What are the seats and console from? They fit the interior really well.

·
Registered
6,399 Posts
I took out the "pro tour, For my info. why is "pro tour:" a downer?
It's not a downer, it just detracts from the car speaking for itself. You've already seen someone here confuse it with "Pro Street".

If someone is not familiar with "Pro Touring" - and I think different people may have a different idea of what it takes - they will only know it's a modified car. I don't think anything that yells modified will help pull in buyers.

·
Registered
123 Posts
You asked for brutally honest, so here it comes...

I don't want to sound like I'm taking anything away from what you have there. It is absolutely gorgeous, a first class build, and every detail looks to be done RIGHT,, no 1/[email protected]$$ anything I can see anywhere! So take my opinion with a grain of salt. It's just an opinion.

The paint scheme is gorgeous, but it's definately not my cup of tea
The infusion of leather and modern interior / seating is classy, but not my cup of tea
detailing everywhere on that chassis is rolling perfection, but that's something your into, not me.
What am I saying.... it's like when you go to the car shows and see the perfection, hours and hours of spit and polish, TONS of money spent on a project like a Volkswagon camper buss, or the perfect restoration of a 1947 gum-ball machine. You have to stare and admire all the hard work that went into creating this beautiful machine,, BUT,, it's someone elses dream, the perfect finish to the vehicle YOU wanted. Customs will always be a matter of personal taste. That is going to DRAMATICALLY limit your market, and hurt the bottom dollar. As boring as it may be to some, a letter perfect restoration of an original (anything) is always going to bring more $'s than a custom. Why??? becasue it's YOUR dream and not exactly how someone else might customize it. That's why were seeing these rediculous prices for cars rolling across the Barrett-Jackson block. The purist are paying so much for an original / restoration because THAT is something everyone can identify with.

As for $'s.....
I didn't even see what you were asking for it, but..... Throw all of your labor away, and if you get $0.50 on the dollar invested in making this beautiful machine, you'll be doing good. I don't care how it was built, finished or perfectly customized, you'll never get anything close to what you have invested. I have not known one person that 'made' money building one of these cars. It's just the nature of things. We invest our heart and soul, tons of cash, and someone comes along and offers us peanuts for our dreams. If you want to get a GREAT deal on a project, buy someone elses unfinished dream. That truely is just penny's on the dollar.

You may want to reach through the keyboard here and choke the living $#!+ out of me, but......... The one thing I see that may bring more people to the table to talk,,, a repaint. I know,,, you have this beautiful custom two tone paint and I'm saying cover it up!! (OUCH). But a nice solid color (nothing to flashy and nothing too boreing) will help move the car at a better price. More people will be able to identify with a solid color,, even more so if you choose one of the factory colors for that year. GM spent a LOT of money and research testing what people liked on that model. Of course that was in the 60's and our eye and preferances have changed. But were right back to that 'what will your buying market identify with'.

So there's my brutal opinion. Please don't punch holes in the computer screen, or send hate mail. I'm just offering my own experience with vehicles I've built that I probably couldn't give away for $0.10 on the dollar. But ya know what,, I did then MY way and I enjoyed the build, and driving them when I was done. All I can say is it is a VERY expensive hobby!

·
Registered
1,710 Posts

1 - 20 of 34 Posts