Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok,I keep having the brake light on the dash come on off and on. Sometimes it's fine the next time the pedal is spongy and the light comes on. Then it will get better again. I turned the rotors put new pads on and a new master cylinder. I have bled the heck out of the lines and there seems to be NO air left in them. The lines and rear drum wheel cylinders seem to be in good shape also. What gives? I don't want to rear end somebody, please help!

·
Gold Founding Member
978 Posts
depending on the age of your car, the dash brake light is not related to brake system PERFORMANCE...
it simply warned of the parking brake being "ON"

------------------
Rich
Cocoa Beach, Fla
Team Chevelle #380
46 but feeling like 20 when i'm in my 70 SS 454
[email protected]
www.chevelles.com/showroom/70_SS_454.jpg

·
Administrator
16,196 Posts
Check the adjustment on the rear brake shoes. If they are to far out of adjustment you can get a pressure differential in the system which will cause the light to come on. The self adjusters will only work well if you step hard on the brakes to stop while going backward. If you back up slow with your foot on the brake pedal they won't adjust.

------------------
Philip Valentine
Gold Member #42
"Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after another."
[email protected]

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I assure you the parking brake is not on. I'll check the drums in the morning. Thanks, more suggestions welcome!

·
Premium Member
1,337 Posts
Lindsay,
Does it have power brakes? If so it may be time to replace the booster. My 72 did that for a couple of days before the booster failed outright. Luckily it happened while stopped at a stop sign.
Check the vacuum hose and the plug on the booster. Good luck.

------------------
Honey, its not a $200 hat. The distributor was $200, the hat came with it. kevin d
Maryland Chevelle Club #362

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
If you are not loosing fluid and the brake light comes on only at those times when it feels "spongy" and goes to the floor, most likely there is a problem with the master cylinder. I know you said you put a new one on, but was it new or rebuilt? I have had multiple bad rebuilts come from the parts store. I dont think it is booster related, because even if the booster is non functional there is a mechanical connection from the pedal to the master, so brakes would work but need more effort. Double check there are no leaks and the system is bled. Try another master cylinder, bench bleed it before install, and go from there. Please try posting future brake questions in the "brakes and suspension" forum for more help.

------------------
70 chevelle ss396 conv
66 chevelle ss396 hdp/conv
55 chevy prostreet
69/71 camaros

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
Lindsay,

What year is your car? Does it have a big block with Hooker Comp Headers? I've seen 71-72's with a header tube laying right on the proportioning valve. When that happens you run the risk of fluid boil. Hence, the light will come on and the pedal travel will increase. Once the fluid cools down, problem goes away until next time it gets hot.

------------------
Joe Giniel
72 Chevelle SS
Team Chevelle #143
Aces #03056

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fixed! Philip A.K.A 64Elcamino was right. The rear drums were way out of adjustment. I just bought this vehicle and had never checked them. Thanks! I'm sorry I posted in the "tech" area but I thought it was a technical question. I didn't even see the seperate catagory for brakes and suspension. Sorry. It's my opinion this web-sight is so good some of us don't even know where to find everything here. Then again I guess if you don't like the topic you don't have to "click" on it either. Next time I'll try and get it in the right section. Thanks again everybody!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.