Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am at work and someone just told me I have a gas leak!

It is leaking at a rate of 1-2 drops a second and I have a full tank (20gal)!

It seems to be leaking above the right wheel from the frame. I can't tell if it comming from the fuel line or vent line.

Are there any problem areas to look for or likely spots for leaks to develop? None of the hoses look like they are responsible.

Any suggestions?

------------------
Charles Perrell
[email protected]
65 malibu SS Convertible
283 2v powerglide

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Use a light and mirror to check out the gas leak. If you use a drop light-be real careful around the leaking gas!!!I had one where the gas fitting connecterd to the hose. It had a crack in the tank.Used JB WELD-worked like a charm to stop the leak. OH-in an emergency-use bubble gum to stop the leak-really works.

·
Premium Member
1,337 Posts
Check and see if the rubber lines on the tank are dry rotted. Open the gas cap and see if it relieves the pressure.

------------------
Honey, its not a $200 hat. The distributor was $200, the hat came with it. kevin d
Maryland Chevelle Club #362
Classic Cars and Trucks of Beaufort #72
TC #1108
ACES #4586

·
Registered
648 Posts
Don't go under that car with a drop light! You are asking for trouble, no joke intended. Use a flash light.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I couldn't find any leaks in the hoses. I was able to trace the fuel line from the tank to past where the leak was and didn't see any leaks. I believe it is the vent hard line where it goes into the frame.

I disconnected and plugged the hose going to the vent tube and it seemed to stop the leak. I was able to get the car home at least and I havn't noticed any more leaks.

I don't know if it was just the vent tube or the tank just leaked down below where the leak was.

I guess I will plan on replacing the vent line and hope it fixes it.

Any suggestions on what I need to do to replace the line?

Thanks,

------------------
Charles Perrell
[email protected]
65 malibu SS Convertible
283 2v powerglide

·
Super Moderator
16,020 Posts
It was probably "leaking" out your vent tube itself. If you fill the tank with very cold fuel and then it warms and expands, it can just shoot right out the vent tube since it has nowhere else to go. Once this starts it can continue to syphon off fuel until the fuel level inside the tank drops below the vent tube in the tank. My 1st '65 used to do this all the time. Don't leave the vent tube plugged for long, it's there for a reason.

As far as a permanent solution? Just don't ever fill the tank to the brim when you refuel.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I experienced the same thing.

You can still fill it to the brim if you're willing to loosen your gas cap for a couple seconds after you stop the vehicle - the fuel is actually forced out the vent line by air pressure - loosening the gas cap will let the pressure out and you shouldn't have any more leaks, even if you're full to the brim.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't know if this will go to tech2002 or 2001.

I hope it was just overflowing from the vent tube.

I pulled the vent and it looks OK. I guess I will just clean it up and repaint it, replace the hoses and reinstall it.

I HAD filled up recently, but I had driven it for at least 10 miles and a couple days before it started leaking. I guess it must have been a couple things working together to push it out the vent (pretty full tank, temp getting warmer, angle of parking lot, etc).

Anyway, hopefully it won't happen again (pretty scary).

------------------
Charles Perrell
[email protected]
65 malibu SS Convertible
283 2v powerglide

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.