Team Chevelle banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am trying to install a 68 am only radio. this radio has three (3) terminals in back of radio labeled: 1) Pos
2) GND
3) Spk
I installed antenna (what I think is antenna)

I connected red #1 to Power. I know this works because when I turn radio on, light comes on. So this is a-ok.

How do I connect #2? To the frame of car as to "ground" it,or to both frame and to neg speaker?

How do I connect #3? To the positive speaker terminal?

Please help. Thanks, Dave

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
Dave. Both the radio and one side of the speaker is grounded. Because you have only 1 speaker, it does not matter which side is grounded.

Thus:
no 1 to acc (ign)
no 2 to ground
no 3 to one of the speaker terminals, other terminal to ground as well.

Hope this helps.

Rob

PS: In a old fashioned stereo setup both speakers must be in the same phase, which makes it important to use the "same" terminal to ground. You can test this with a 1.5 V battery to find out if the cone moves the same way (connect battery only very shortly though). Mind you, modern radio's do not use ground on the speakers anymore!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rusty, This helps alot, however, in your response, you assumed that I have only one (1) speaker. Actually, I have two (2) rear speakers. Does this matter? Dave

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, it works...wierd though.. I ran speaker wire from radio to speaker. From second terminal on speaker to ground on engine and works. Volume is low like not getting enough power etc. i will tinker with it some more. But it works. Miller Time.

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
Dave.

The low volume could be the antenna signal being weak (missing ground?).

If you have 2 speakers in the rear, do you have a stereo radio ? I guess not, so the 2 speakers are either in parallel or in series. In the first case you must watch out to not overload the radio's amplifier, because the impedance is 1/2 of one speaker by itself. In the latter case the impedance is twice as high as one speaker. This would not damage the amplifier but it will lower the volume too. In both cases you should also test the phase I talked about in my previous answer.

A third possibilty is that you use a variable resistor to have the radio think it sees the right impedance. I do not have a diagram at hand now. If you need, let me know I will think it out, or look it up.

If I may ask, what does the expression "Mill time" mean ?

Rob

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
"Miller Time" time for a cellebration beer like "it's miller time". You must not drink beer, you are the wiser for it. Thanks for your help. Both speakers are working fine. I just kept playing with it. Couldn't have done it without you. Once again, Thanks, Dave

1 - 8 of 8 Posts