Chevelles.com banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some serious rot in my rear spring perch and body mount on my 66 frame. I have decided to ethier spend the time and fix it or find a replacment. Recently i got my hands on a 67 convertible crossmember (rail to rail) with the spring perches and body mounts all in good shape. Now, looking at the 66 to 67 crossmembers the body mounts look a bit diffrent. The 66 uses 3 rivets while the 67 only has 2. My question is if I cut out the spring perch from the 67 frame and replace the rotting one in my 66 frame will i be looking at issues with the body mounts. Also. I plan on running a coil-over crossbar so I might be cutting out my spring perches and just welding in some gussets. If i dont cut the spring perches out and run normal coil springs what issues will i be looking at there? Any advice or info will help greatly. Thank You

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
I do know the upper rear spring pockets/perches are different on a '66 vs. '67. The '66 is much bigger diameter than the '67. If you are able to swap the xmember, you will need '67 springs.

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
I do know the upper rear spring pockets/perches are different on a '66 vs. '67. The '66 is much bigger diameter than the '67. If you are able to swap the xmember, you will need '67 springs.
I agree with Pat,
the 66 & 67 springs are the same on the BOTTOM part of the spring

which is wound tight (pig tail style) that goes onto the Rear End perch .
The TOP part of the 66 spring is not wound as tight (more open) and

indexes into the upper frame pocket/rail of the 66 body .
This seems to lock it into place preventing it from rotating !?

Therefore if a 67 or later style Rear Crossmember is installed into a 66 car body
the 67 style springs should be used !

1 - 3 of 3 Posts