Team Chevelle banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,696 Posts
Re: Hello can you help me?

Matt, does it have A/C, power steering? What other options? If it is a real SS it should have power front disc brakes. All these items add to the weight.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Re: Hello can you help me?

My '70 SS396 with 4 speed, bucket seats, no air, has 3364# listed for the weight on the 1969 license card I got when the car was new. I do not know where the state gets that info from.
A 1970 Chevelle brochure I have has a weight of 3434# for the 4dr malibu, engine not specified. The four doors have a 4" longer wheel base and are 4" longer overall.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
3300/3400 lbs sound like NET weights to me. Doesn't GROSS weight mean all fluids, luggage, 5 passengers, etc. and NET weight or CURB weight means just the car empty and dry? I could be wrong, I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.

·
Premium Member
7,278 Posts
My 69 coupe, no A/C, power steering, power brakes, 350/TH400, aluminum intake, headers, and steel rally wheels, weighs 3600 on the dragstrip scales. This is with no driver, no jack or spare tire, and 1/4 tank of gas.

·
Registered
18,902 Posts
does your car still have the gvw sticker in the doorjam? the "gross weight" listed on there is the maximum it is rated for with a full tank of gas, a car full of people, and a trunk full of junk.
but if you just want to know how much it weighs, head for a truck scale.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
put as much gas as you want, extra passenger, the dog or cat that usually accompanies you, add or remove the spare and tools you do or don't pack along, then go (and, it couldn't hurt to call around first, just to make sure) to a garbage dump, recycling center or (depending on your area) a grain elevator (my choice since they are probably most accurate and except during harvest are happy to have something vaguely different to do and talk about) gravel/landscaping materials yard or anyplace else that has a gov. inspected and calibrated (if you're skeptical of accuracy) drive on the scale and ask how much it weighs. they might even be able to give you a hard copy print out. then you will know, almost exactly. simple, huh?

·
Premium Member
7,278 Posts
Scales that are calibrated for an 80,000 pound tractor-trailer rig might not be all that accurate on a 3500 pound car. Most dragstrips, on street or bracket nights, you can take your car into the pit area whether or not you're actually racing, and nobody will say a word to you if y ou drive across the scales.

·
Registered
5,696 Posts
Curb weight, which includes all fluids and full gas tank.
13637=3411 lbs.
A/C=93 lbs.
Power disc brakes=26 lbs.
396 w/ 4 speed=add 292 lbs. over the base engine. This includes SS equip.
Power steering=29 lbs.
AM radio pushbutton=8 lbs.

Your car should weigh about 3,859 lbs. If you have other options such as buckets, console, vinyl top etc., it will add to the weight.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts