Team Chevelle banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How about an assist for the Ignition Impaired?
I got a GMPP HEI for my '67 396 Elky. I know that i need to rum a 10 ga wire from a switched terminal on the fuse block to the dist. No problem. Where does it go on the dist? It has 2 contacts (blade type) on the bottom of the coil and I assume that the wire connects to the "BAT" terminal. I would prefer to ask you guys and look dumb than to fry the dist from improper connection.

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
Yes, you will need to run a new wire to the BATT terminal on the disty. There has to be 12V going to the disty which would not be the case if you used the original "resistor" wire. You ought to be able to tell a difference once you get it on the road.

------------------
-Mark TC# 717
ACES #1641
1967 Chevelle SS396/375(20 year old Polaroid pics. Sorry)
1967 RailVelle Handles like its on rails!
1964 Chevelle 283/195
1975 Corvette 396/375 Looks are very deceiving!

·
Registered
777 Posts
phocksphyre,
One other suggestion as 1BadRat pretty much answered the question, but make sure you use a terminal on the fuse block that has power when the Ign. Switch is in both positions, Ignition and On. I can tell you from experience that Acc. terminals DO NOT have power while cranking and therefore make it very hard to start the car!!

Bill C.

------------------
Bill C.
'71 SS (now with 468BBC)
'70 Nova 350/700r4
ACES #2780
Colo Spgs, CO

·
Premium Member
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info guys, and for the tip BC. That would sure be a puzzlement! I have an IGN terminal on the fuse block I plan to use. I don't know what I'd do without the assistance this site (and you all)has given over the last few months!

Phocksphyre

·
Premium Member
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info guys, and for the tip BC. That would sure be a puzzlement! I have an IGN terminal on the fuse block I plan to use. I don't know what I'd do without the assistance this site (and you all)has given over the last few months!

Phocksphyre

·
Registered
344 Posts
Why don't you just replace the resistor wire in the harness with a 10AWG wire and use the existing circuit and control from the ignition switch?

I have a question about a different setup. I have a MSD box with a HEI distributor. I replaced the resistor wire with a 12AWG wire which goes to the MSD box, which then goes to the HEI distributor. The MSD box also has a direct +12V feed to the horn relay junction point. I have not started it up yet. Will I have problems

1 - 7 of 7 Posts