Team Chevelle banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting ready to re-install my small block back into my 69 chevelle,I was wondering if a late model 80's HEI distibutor will clear the fire wall with no problems.Thanks in advanced..... SORRY ALL IT IS A LATE 70'S HEI THANKS TO ALL THE REPLYS..........

[This message has been edited by NO4NJUNK (edited 11-15-2002).]

·
Registered
11,941 Posts
Explain late model 80's dist, most of those are computer controlled.

------------------
Leo Paugh
Maryland Chevelle Club #017
A.C.E.S.#3731
progress has little to do with speed, but lots to do with direction.
Maryland Chevelle Club

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
HEI will clear, have one in a BB 68. Like chev64 implied you don't want to fool with a LATE 80's dist. They have computer controlled timing. An HEI with one connector from base to cap, one power connection and one tach connection is the type you want.

------------------
Steve Strasemeier (70SS 396, Fathom Blue/White Stripes)
My 70SS

·
Registered
777 Posts
Yup, it'll fit. Snug, but it'll fit. You might also consider converting your points dist over to a pertronix conversion kit. There is also an outfit that you can send you dist to, and they will convert it to an HEI dist.
Fred

·
Registered
224 Posts
Don't forget to replace the power supply wire; the original one from your points distributor was a "resistance" wire, to drop the voltage and avoid burning the points. I pulled the old wire out of the plug at the firewall, and ran a new 12gage wire. You can get the connectors at NAPA.

You also don't need the wire from the starter solenoid; that was there to give a full 12Volts during cranking for easier starts.

Cheers,
mark.
'71 Fodor

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.