Chevelles.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just put an Accel Hei in my '69 C-10.Ran perfect for a week...then this morning I drove 5 miles,filled up w/gas,then no spark.Took it all apart,three times,coil all the way to plugs,checking voltage & resistance each time(all at a busy station)then gave up.Tried one last time... it ran.Drove it home...then it wouldn't restart.Same procedure...restarted 30 minutes later,etc.Finally,left for the day in a backup vehicle(which had a flat tire at two different times to make my day complete); returned tonight and the darn thing starts every time,even with heat and cool down periods thrown in at random.Module breakdown? Getting a good 12.65-14.7 volts at the b+ terminal,so I'm stumped.What gives???This is taking valuable time from my 327-427 swap(in my '66 malibu)this week.Help!

------------------
66 malibu,69 c-10,65 chevy-II,etc.

[This message has been edited by working on it (edited 01-15-2001).]

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
You probably have a bad connection. Check ALL connections, including the ingnition switch.
If you can't find anything and you are positive it is wired correctly with good grounds, call Accel. I'm sure they don't want you to have a bad experience with their product.

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Got to thinking about this some more.
I put an MSD module in my stock HEI and they gave me a paste that went between the module and the distributor to absorbe heat. If yours is similar, maybe the module is getting hot.
Just a guess.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your replies,guys.I switched modules(w/white paste),coils,wires;installed a toggled 10-gauge direct ignition feed from the battery,checked for reluctor clearance and shaft play,voltage prior to and after cranking...multiple times.Same as usual,sometimes it fired and sometimes not,but it never quit or misfired after it started.Completely checked out carb and timing;couldn't think of anything else to check.To make a long story short(er),took a chance and drove it 50 miles to my friend's garage where we're installing a 427 in the Malibu,we went thru all the checks again,then he produced an inductive ammeter that clamped on the main feed to the starter...it pegged out over 600amps draw.Then we checked battery voltage DURING CRANKING(not done before),it read <10 volts...not enough for HEI to fire.This also explains why my old points burnt out more frequently.Put rebuilt starter on...drew 50 amps...Hei works perfect every time.My thanks to all,my apologies to Accel for all the evil thoughts I beamed their way.Live and Learn!

------------------
66 malibu,69 c-10,65 chevy-II,etc.

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Nice job!
Gotta love those neat tools.
My VOM has saved me lotsa times.
Glad you got it fixed. I'll remember that
one for sure.

------------------
Dave
"Fire all your guns at once and
Explode into space."
Steppenwolf "Born to be Wild"

·
Registered
777 Posts
Excellent...glad to hear that everything worked out well.
Thanks for posting your fix to the problem!

------------------
Better Late than Never Fred
Team Chevelle #400
ACES #4055
Denton ...The home of happiness.
1970 Chevelle Malibu

·
Registered
173 Posts
I agree, thanks for posting the fix. We have an HEI, this may help in the future..........bk

I'm only a year and a month off.

[This message has been edited by driverk (edited 02-19-2002).]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts