Chevelles.com banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For christmas i got a new accell performance hei in-cap distributor with new wires. Yesterday we dropped it in, after a few turns it fired up, took it for a spin, got the timing a bit better after pulling over a few times but it was running weak, not like it use to. Got home and it wouldn't start up again. We foudn out that the we needed the 12v/12 gauge wire hooked to the ignition, so we did that this morning. Now it turns overs like a champ, has a spark, but wont fire. Any ideas, i need this running by tommorrow and i'd hate to put the old points system back in her :(

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Check to see if there is 12 volts to the HEI in both START and RUN. If so, and assuming there is nothing wrong with your new unit, it's either timing or plugs. Stock GM HEI systems gap the plugs at .045 instead of .035. Also the plugs may have gotten gas wet from trying to install the new unit and trying to fire it. If they are wet, they don't like to fire. A new set is the easiest way to go if they are soaked.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks John, we re-gaped the plugs to .045, than it started backfiring, which was a good thing because atleast we got it to fire. than we pulled the valve cover, got it to TDC, and found out that the distributer was 1/4 of a turn out, dropped it back in, she started up after 2 turns

Took her for a ride, oh-so-smooth, much better than I expected.

Thanks again for the help

1 - 3 of 3 Posts