Chevelles.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting a big block ready to go into my 67 Malibu. The engine is a 69, 427 but it came with a Remy Delco HEI distributor that the "Tag-Team" said came out of an 80's truck. I would like to use this distributor rather than buy a new one (if I can wire it).
The distributor has a three prong plug, one orange, one brown and a black. The car now (327) has the neg. from the coil going to the distibutor. The coil on the car has two wires going to the positive side, one tan and one cloth covered. Could anyone tell me how to adapt this distributor to my car? Thanks.

·
Gold Founding Member
63,018 Posts
The three wire plug plugs into the distributor cap.
The HEI coil is inside the cap so you won't use the old coil.
You just need to connect a 12 volt wire to the "BAT" terminal on the cap that has power from the ignition switch when the key is in both the "run" and "start" positions.
The original cloth covered power feed wire to the old coil's + terminal can't be used since it is a resistive wire that does not have 12 volts under load.
The second wire on the coil is a bypass wire that supplied full 12 volts to the coil from the starter while cranking only so you can tape it up because you won't need it connected any longer.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One more question, The cap has two blade type terminals marked: "TACH BAT", is one of these where I connect the new 12 volt wire and if so, which one? Thanks again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts