Team Chevelle banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend has an HEI distributor in his 1966 Chevelle he recently bought and I have a few questions (previous installation)...

First, should the power wire to the distributor ("BATT" terminal) be 9-volts (factory ballast wire), or full 12-volts?

Secondly, if the distributor is to get a full 12-volts, can I eliminate the wire from the starter to the distributor (that used to go to the coil from the starter for 12 volts at cranking)?

Finally, he just bought a repro knee-knocker tach... Does the tach wire just hook into the "TACH" terminal? Seems obvious, but he's not mechanically inclined and I don't want to burn out his new tach...

Any other precautions?

Thanks

·
Registered
169 Posts
1. Yes there should be a full 12 volts to the HEI. You may have to remove the factory ballast wire from the harness and replace it with a 12 gauge non-sheathed wire, OR use the factory ballast resistor wire to trigger a relay that then sends a full 12 volts to the HEI.

2. Yes, you can eliminate the wire from the starter to the HEI as it does not need it.

3. Yes, hook the tach to the "tach" connection on the cap of the HEI and it should work.

·
Premium Member
17,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you do item one by replacing the resistance wire, you can not eliminate the starter wire as mentioned in item 2.
Both wires do not have power at the same time.
engineer,

I did this on my Chevelle and it still worked... I installed the "Small-body HEI" setup (stock points distributor converted to HEI internals, using points-type coil), and I eliminated the starter to coil wire, and replaced the "resistor" wire with a non-resisted piece (soldered to the terminal)...

Its worked for 2+ years and haven't noticed a problem...

Our cars are 1966's if that makes a difference...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.