Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to connect my indash tach to my HEI but cannot find the correct size connector. I can find the power connector but it is a diff size than the TACH. Can anyone tell me what the Tach Connector is called, where can I find one, and is there a suitable substitute that would work before I just stuff the wire in there and duct tape it??!!

As usual.......THANKS!

------------------

[This message has been edited by Skier_Bob (edited 02-03-99).]

·
Registered
10 Posts
Well Skier As far as i know it should be a regular female end connector I dont know how they are sized but you can get them at auto parts stores that is what i use on mine and all the ones i have seen maybe theres somthing in the way or maybe the connector is bent It should be the same size as the hot side.

Charles

·
Registered
148 Posts
Skier,
Charles is right; just use a plain old female blade type connector from Radio Shack or similiar. Summit does offer a connector for around $8, if you have to have one.
mgg

·
Premium Member
2,393 Posts
Bob, Centech wiring in NY sells the tach and HEI lead for about $5.00 ea. They have a web site but I don't have the address available here.
Before I got the correct tach lead, I used a modified power lead that I got at a wrecking yard. Worked fine for several yrs.

------------------
Rick Schaefer
72 El Camino
ACES # 00140

·
Super Moderator
12,959 Posts
Bob,
I have purchased the connector housing, and the brass part also at the local Chevy Dealer as recently as two months ago. You have to have a pretty good parts guy to take the time to find it in the electrical parts book.

------------------
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

·
Registered
148 Posts
Skier,

I can't e-mail back to your addresss I'm posting here. Tell me what year your car is and what type of tach you're trying to connect and I'll see if I can help. The HEI has a built in tach signal generator that works with almost all generators. Most tachs only require 12 volts, a good ground and signal from distributor, so it should'nt be too hard.
mgg

·
Registered
148 Posts
Skier, (here's the message without the mistakes)

I can't e-mail back to your addresss so I'm posting here. Tell me what year your car is and what type of tach you're trying to connect and I'll see if I can help. The HEI has a built in tach signal generator that works with almost all tachs. Most tachs only require 12 volts, a good ground and signal from distributor, so it should'nt be too hard.
mgg

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
Hey Manny-
If you click the third icon to the right from the time on your post you can edit your message, that way you don't have to double post to replace errors in your previous post. Maybe you already knew that but I thought it would help ya out if you didn't, and it could save your fingers from re-typing.
Steve

·
Premium Member
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Manny,

71 Chevelle SS454. - factory in-dash tach -- the previous owner had disconnected it. I can't even figure out which wire is the tachs and if there are more than 1 wires.
I am guessing it's the pink wire and there is a black ground wire under the dash that needs grounding. Hope i don't fry too much during trial and error. Thanks

Bob

------------------

·
Registered
148 Posts
Hey Skier,
Can't e-mail back to your address! I've checked my references and don't have anything on your car. Let's see if someone has the same car and will check the back of their tach and tell you what wire is what. You will need to get a wiring diagram for your car($5 from OPG) then you can rewire your tach to work. Don't experment too much or you'll run the risk of smoking the tach if you hook it up wrong. sorry I can't be more help, but keep me posted.
mgg

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.