Chevelles.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 1966 chevelle with HEI. the guy who had it before mangled the wiring, i bought all new harnesses. the engine harness has a pink and w/b/r looking wire unusaul wire, i think its the resistor wire its connected to the pink wire and supposed to connect to the BAT side of the coil? i read from here you dont use that resistor wire. i still need to use the pink wire right? thats my BAT source, hook it up to the starter soleniod? it looked like the guy before me was getting BAT pos from a different source, i only have 2 wires hooked up to my starter, one from the battery, and the purple wire from the engine harness, i think the pink wire should be connected here?

thanks frank

·
Premium Member
6,741 Posts
No you don't want to hook it to that, that only supplies power while cranking. Don't know the colors for a 66 but you should have about a 12 gauge wire going back to a switched terminal on the fuse block. Only has power when ign on. Try to trace the wires back. If you don't have an inline ballast resistor then one of the wires probably is a resistive wire. You can meter resistance end to end of each wire to find out.

·
Premium Member
2,928 Posts
Frank, Any 12V source that is "hot" in both the start and run positions of your ignition switch will work. When I ordered an engine harness for my 65 from M&H Fabricators, I specified that I'd be using a HEI type distributor and they built the harness with standard wire and a HEI connector for a "Plug and Play" installation. It cost me an extra $10.00 which I thought was a bargain. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks, so the pink wire + resistor wire should not got to the starter. can i hook up the pink wire from the engine harness to the distributer?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks john, i was thinking of doing that, how do i plug it into the IGN terminal on the fuse box? do i use the HEI wire from your link? what gauge wire is necessary?

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
There is a 1/4 male terminal in the fuseblock called IGN. The link I showed is one place to get a wire and connector. There are others. This one looks to be a 12 gage but been awhile since I bought one.

·
Premium Member
6,741 Posts
Frank, sorry if I confused things. I read mangled wires and missed the part about the new harness. Thought we were dealing with the mangled harness.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts