Chevelles.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a new engine harness & adaptor feed wires for the HEI distributor. The 2 adaptor wires look like they are supposed to plug into the harness block on the firewall. If so do I remove the old distributor wires from the harness block & replace with the new? the prior owner bypassed the old wiring & ran new wires to the distributor. This is making it difficult to figure out. Any suggestions?

------------------
Member Team Chevelle, Member Garden State Chevelle Club
1972 SS 402 Turbo 400
Flame Orange with Black stripes

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
I'm assuming that the 2 adapter wires are for the tach and B+ input to the HEI. One perhaps is a large pink wire and the other maybe a brown wire? They have connectors on one side to plug into the HEI and pins on the other side to go into the bulkhead connector? Just tough to see them.
If so, I'd replace them in the bulkhead connector. If you don't have a tach, you don't have to install the tach wire. Replacing the resistor wire is all that's needed.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your right about the colors. I'm assuming you mean remove the old wires from the bulkhead connector & replace them with these. My only problem is the prior owner bypassed the bulkhead connector. Do I have to trace the wires to the interior to figure it out?

My other question is the one wire goes from the distributor to some sort of capacitor on the firewall then through the firewall to the wires on the other side of the bulkhead. It seems that this capacitor is no longer needed. Any thoughts on the capacitor?

I think what I need is the original conversion instructions to show what was done to hook the tach & power feeds to the distributor.

I'll try to just what you suggested & when the car is reassembled I guess I'll find out if the tach will work or not.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by John_Muha:
I'm assuming that the 2 adapter wires are for the tach and B+ input to the HEI. One perhaps is a large pink wire and the other maybe a brown wire? They have connectors on one side to plug into the HEI and pins on the other side to go into the bulkhead connector? Just tough to see them.
If so, I'd replace them in the bulkhead connector. If you don't have a tach, you don't have to install the tach wire. Replacing the resistor wire is all that's needed.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

------------------
1972 SS 402 Turbo 400

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Sounds like the previous owner didn't use the bulkhead connector for the wires. Yes, if use the bulkhead connector it's best to remove the other wires. See the diagrams in the other thread with the HEI information.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP! The diagram will help out a lot! I don't know what I would do without all of the help I get from this website!

------------------
1972 SS 402 Turbo 400

1 - 5 of 5 Posts