Chevelles.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last weekend I put my HEI disturbitor back in my car. I noticed that when I had it seated all the way, I could move the rotor back and forth (somewhat firm resistance). I assumed this was just moving the weights and springs. I thought the rotor would return to a neutral position when I let go, but it stayed where ever I pointed it. I don't have enough experience with dist to know if this is normal. The car seem to run okay, but have not had it on the road, just concerned. Thanks

------------------
64 Malibu SS 327
Instructions?...all I need is the exploded view

·
Registered
290 Posts
Well the springs are to weak or the weights are sticking.What colour springs do you have.

·
Premium Member
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I checked under the rotor and the color of my spring were the lovely shade of iron oxide. So I will by buying a spring kit to replace my rusty one's The weights moved freely. The distributor still felt like too much resistance in the advance, so I used some kroil penetrating spray and it loosed up a little after moving it back and forth for awhile, but still not enough for the springs to pull the advance back when move. The spring pull was strong even though rusted, so something inside was binding up.
Took the distributor apart and when I pulled the rotor shaft out of the housing, it was covered with a rusty colored thick and sticky grease. Cleaned it up and put some dielectric grease in the recessed groove near the top of the shaft and some oil of the shaft. The advance snaps back when I let go of it now. Will be getting a manual to make sure I used the correct grease in the right areas.

------------------
64 Malibu SS 327

·
Registered
330 Posts
Di-electric grease is not for lubrication, and will emulsify and harden very soon. I use regular hi-temp chassis grease.

When you redo the grease, as you will eventually have to do, you might set the end clearance at between .012 and .016. This will help keep the spark from scattering at certain rpms.

Di-electric grease works well for modules, and distributor cap terminals, the 8 terminals inside the cap for each cylinder, to keep the oxidation buildup off them.

·
Premium Member
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was debating which grease to use last night. I had high temp disk brake grease or the dielectric grease. I guess I went with the dielectric thinking it might would be better with coil and being underneath the rotor. Will be pulling it the dist soon and replaceing the grease. When you mention high temp chassis grease, are you talking about moly grease. Not sure if the high temp disk brake grease is the right one to use now. Thanks alot.

John

------------------
64 Malibu SS 327

1 - 6 of 6 Posts