Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I see non-comp HEI's at swap meets all the time for $30-$45. One vendor even had a test bench set up so you could see it work before you bought it.

------------------
Steve Strasemeier (70SS)

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Steve...might just think twice about this one...

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Stay away from the computer controlled version, which I don't belive the '79 is. Do a mechanical check, tightness of bushings, condition of gear drive and condition of mag "points". Replace the module if you're going to spin it high. Probably replace it anyway just to be safe with an aftermarket module. I know my '75 wouldn't run above 5800 due to module ( even with an MSD ). Brand new distribs run from $100 to $$$ so $65 is a fair deal assuming it's mech OK. Just for sh**s and grins call NAPA and see what a rebuilt is. They quoted me $40 for an early non-HEI. Maybe that's a better price for a non-rebuilt HEI.

[This message has been edited by Gene Chas (edited 05-17-99).]

·
Premium Member
9,796 Posts
For $65 it better be in great condition. I have been able to buy them at salvage yards for $15-$20. Then replace the pickup coil and maybe the vacuum advance. Some folks believe that it is cheaper to just buy a rebuilt one--they may be right.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I get them from junkyards for $15-20 also. I think $65 is too much. You can buy a brand new one through Summit for a little over $100 with good speed parts in it, so I'd think twice.

I went & looked it up, current SUMMIT catalog, page 104 - part# SUM850001R w/46,000 volt coil, oilite bushings, some other extreme duty components. They say it dynoed better than the one that comes with the GM ZZ3 crate motor - sells for $149.99 Then on page 106 - ACCEL HEI dist part # ACC-9107 $139.99

[This message has been edited by Scooter (edited 05-17-99).]

·
Registered
636 Posts
I would shy away from used HEI distributors. Here is a little example of what my last one cost me.

Dist from yard. $35
New cap and rotor $18
New coil $13
New module $35
total $101

Rebuilt dist from Oreilly's $89
New cap and rotor (not incl.) $18
New coil (not incl.) $13
total $120

As you can see it cost me 20 bucks more to get one that was already rebuilt from the parts store. But I got new mach. advance mechanism, new vacuum advance unit, new pickup coil, new bushings, new drive gear, plus it came with a new module, and it was already bead blasted and all clean when I got it. basically the only thing that was used on the new dist. was the casting. So I would say save the headaches and buy a rebuilt one from your local parts store. It would have saved me alot of trouble. Mat ACES #2424

------------------

·
Registered
49 Posts
Guys,
another alternative is a new ZZ3 HEI with performance curve already set from places like Scoggin-Dickie for around $170.
Most dealerships charge over $100 more for it.

------------------
Long time Chevelle fan and an owner since 1973 :)

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I might just get stuck with this one, *sigh*. It includes the cap with the coil built in, and has a plug in for tach. Will I need new wires, and will I need to re-gap my plugs (I was thinking .040)? Running a 307 with rapidfires and standard dist/coil setup now. Thanks for all input!

------------------
Madness takes it's toll, please have exact change.

Fred
'70 Chevelle
http://www.geocities.com/motorcity/shop/9385/1970Chevelle.html

·
Registered
636 Posts
Yes you will need new wires. The connections are of a different style on the HEI (I think). When I got wires for mine, I got a set for a Chevys Truck with a 454, and they fit fine.

------------------

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
The cap end of he wires is different with the HEI since it lockes into a spark plug type male end, and the boots have a "button" on top to lock in the hold down ring. You can get away with more gap as you mentioned. Remeber, my HEI off a '75 Nova 350 sucked at 5800. I replaced it with an aftermarket and found valve float at 6400 ( yeech). The stock components don't do well above 5G's.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all of the replies!! I have passed on this distributor, as it's not NEEDED at this time. If another "deal" rears it's head I'll be leaving another post. I think you guys may have saved me a great deal of money/headache. Thanks!

Al,
This is a situation where any dues that may be associated with this site would seem miniscule(?) compared with the money I think I just saved. Thanks to your hard work!

------------------
Madness takes it's toll, please have exact change.

Fred
'70 Chevelle
www.geocities.com/motorcity/shop/9385/1970Chevelle.html

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.