Chevelles.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, gang. Been a long time. I got a Hei core the other day, it needs a module and coil, but I'd like to know how involved it would be to convert my 71 350 to hei.For example, I know you need a constant 12v source with the switch on, so where do I get it? Also, some mention was made of the resistor wire, what's the deal with that? Is this swap worth the trouble? I will be using an aftermarket module and coil, so will it be better than my stocker(with Pertronic)? I'm running a Comp XE268 with Weiand dual plane and Carter AFB, and it could use some better street manners(maybe unrelated).
Thanks, this site is very valuable to many.
Stan71

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Stan, the current coil + is the powerup wire, it should have between 7-10volts with the key on. this is because of the resistor built into the wire somewhere between the bulkhead and the coil. measure voltage at the wire starting at the firewall and when voltage drops cut out the old wire and run a new peice to your HEI and you should now have 12 volts at the distributor. is it worth it, as long as your not revving past about 6500 and you carry an extra module on long road trips, yeah

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
There really isn't a resistor along the wire. The wire from the bulkhead to coil (+) isn't copper. It's an alloy similar to what is used in a household toaster. So the whole wire is a resistor. Since it isn't copper it's difficult to properly attach another wire to it. Some guys remove the bulkhead connector, remove the pin, and attach a new copper wire in it's spot.
A lot of people just tape off the wire connections that went to coil (+) and tie them back. A new wire is then added from the fuseblock IGN terminal to the HEI BAT terminal. One place to get a new wire and HEI connector is here.
http://www.centechwire.com/catalog/accessories/hei1.shtml

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, John. I ordered the wire from that link.
What about the wire from the starter or solenoid?
Do I also run that?
Thanks,
Stan

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Only if your ignition switch has issues. The same switch was used in later HEI cars.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, guys..
Now, what is the best module and coil for street use? Will a stock one get me by? This 355 can rev over 6.5k, so maybe the stock stuff poops out before that? What do you say?
Stan71

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
My opinion is the best module is the GM module. Have experienced early failures from the stuff sold at the auto parts store. Have been told it's due to cheaper components used in the module.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts