Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting ready to install an HEI and need some help getting it hooked up. I have an HEI from another Chevy and need to know which wires I need to hook up to get the thing working. Any help is appreciated. It is vacum advanced and has two plugs (small & large) coming off of it.

·
Registered
336 Posts
The plug coming out of the top of the distributor housing itself should plug into the cap/coil.. The other plug, if there is one, should be hanging from the distributor cap, able to be unplugged. That is the power & tach leads.. looking down on it its

Left: tach
Middle: ground
Right: batt + (ignition switch)

been a while since i messed with an HEI (and ive never actually ran one in my cars) so if im wrong someone correct me but i beleive this info to be true.

mike

·
Registered
166 Posts
info sounds good to me. also note, the HEI distributor cap should tell you what all of the wires do. i believe you should also remove the stock ignition wire from the bulkhead on the firewall, because it is a resistor wire. The HEI system has no breaker points, and therefore does not require an external coil resitor. also make sure the thing is well grouned, because it does not ground through the distributor base. good luck!

------------------
Ian McDermott
1970 Chevelle SS 396
Columbia University
New York, NY.
E-mail: [email protected]
Web page: chevelle.dhs.org
ICQ UIN: 3923441

·
Registered
151 Posts
To: 1Quik7D

You didn't say what year your car is. If a 68-69 big block Chevelle, you might have a clearance problem at the firewall.I've seen HEI's in these cars, but the owners sometimes have to bodywork the firewall. They are super dist. Good luck

·
Gold Founding Member
63,940 Posts
I have the HEI dist. on my 69 - 396 and there is plenty of clearence to the firewall on mine.

I replaced the original resistive (white cloth covered) wire inside the harness from the bulk head connector to the distributor + (Bat) terminal (was on the old coil + terminal) with #12 stranded wire with a spade type "push on" connector at the distributor end and re-wrapped the harness.
Another way is to just run a new wire that is hot when the ignition is in the "on" and also hot when in the "cranking" positons.
I also abandoned the yellow - bypass wire that ran from the same + terminal of the old coil to the starter solenoid as it is not needed with the HEI dist.

Some people think a much larger wire is necessary to supply power to the HEI distributor but I have never had any problems with the 12 gauge wire.

------------------
Dean Call
A.C.E.S. # 00235
N.C.O.A. # 4350

macc.chevelles.net

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.