Chevelles.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help with this. I have a 350 with a hei
dist. i started getting a miss and check all the plugs, wires, fire etc.. we checked the voltage going into the hei. it is 12 to 13 volts at idle
when accerated the voltage drops down to 6 volts. is this right? i dont believe it is. could this
cause it to sound like a miss. not getting a strong spark? please help. i need direction.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
The HEI input (BAT) should always be above 12 volts when the car is running. Where are you getting the BAT power from?

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Originally posted by dcg67bu:
i believe the power is coming from the starter/ selinoid. thru the ignition switch.
Sorry not quite what I meant. Where does the other end of the HEI BAT wire go to. Someone added that wire because it is not original to the car.

·
Premium Member
9,801 Posts
Sounds like it may be powered by the original resistance wire. Trace the wire to the HEI and see if it goes to a wire that is insulated with a white glass-like covering. That would be the resistance wire. It needs to be bypassed to get good performance. I had a car with an HEI update that was hooked to the resistance wire. It ran as you described: OK at moderate loads and speeds, but a misfire at higher loads and speeds.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts