Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to confirm that I haven't made a mistake in wiring up my new ignition system.

I have a MSD box with a 1974 HEI distributor on the 327 in my 65 El Camino. I replaced the resistor wire with a 12AWG wire which goes from the firewall connector (ignition switch source) to the MSD box. The MSD box has the 12V output which connects to the HEI distributor Bat terminal. The MSD box also has a direct +12V feed to the horn relay junction point. I have not started it up yet.

Was it necessary to replace the resistor wire since the MSD has a direct connection to the battery via the horn relay connection point? Or does not make any difference since this is only the turn on for the MSD box?

------------------
Brian TC#1092, ACES#4374
My Garage
---------------------------------------------------------
1964 Malibu SS Convertible (Restored Garage Queen)
1965 El Camino (Current project)
1974 Midget (Next project, maybe)
1981 Corvette (Daily driver)

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
I think your ok, Brian. I've never actually installed an MSD. I have installed plenty of Pertronix and Mallory Unilite's. I have been around when someone else installed the MSD and don't recall them ever replacing the resistor wire.

Better check the instructions. Or call their tech line. Usually they are very helpful. Don't take a chance on frying your ignition.

MSD tech line # is 915-855-7123.

------------------
-Mark TC# 717
ACES #1641
1967 Chevelle SS396/375(20 year old Polaroid pics. Sorry)
1967 RailVelle Handles like its on rails!
1964 Chevelle 283/195
1975 Corvette 396/375 Looks are very deceiving!

[This message has been edited by 1BadRat (edited 02-22-2001).]

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You know what if you reread the installation instructions, you can actually learn something. The MSD box does not care if the resistor wire is there is is replaced. I had this MSD installed and was driving it before the restoration started, but the change of the resistor wire was the new addition. I will take John's advice and add a fuse on it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts