Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have converted the wiring to make my conversion possible, now i need to know what year, make alternator will fit my 70-396 BB, and what year distributor( HEI) do I need to pick up at the bone yard.

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
Pick up a HEI off a 75-80 small or big block chevy (81 went to computer controls) if you are using the stock alternator wiring for the 70 chevelle it has an external regulator, you can use any 72 or older alternator off a chevy v8. I would just get a rebuilt one at the auto parts store rather than a junkyard piece.

------------------
70 chevelle ss396 conv
66 chevelle ss396 hdp/conv

·
Registered
567 Posts
What exactly are you trying to accomplish with the alternator? Are you trying to install an internal(regulator) alternator ?
if so then you need the correct plug, and dis-connect the voltage regulator from the firewall so, you can either install "jumpers"
or a plug in connector to send current to the right places. As for as the HEI (70's-80's vacumnn advance) just be sure the dist does'nt have a "four wire" connector.there are those who say that the HEI drops off after 4500 rpm. So, a good coil, module etc. might be in order if you plan to see higher rpm's often.

------------------
Jungle Jim #105 Gold
70SS396 & 70 Malibu~ Cajun Country,Louisiana~
"Fight the good Fight every moment, every minute,every day. Make it worth the price you pay!"

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info on the HEI, on the alternator, I have followed the tech instrutions and went with an internal regulator, so I need to know what year and model would be a direct bolton for my BB chevy, thanks steve

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.