Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a showroom brochure that says that '72 Chevelles came in four models: Chevelle, Malibu, Heavy Chevy and SS. Heavy Chevys were introduced mid-'71 and were the sport version of the basic Chevelle (V8 only, from a 307 to a 400, hood pins, side stripes, black grill, optional posi rear axle, optional tach, front and side "Heavy Chevy" emblems -- you'll recognize one if you see one) while the SS was the sport version of the Malibu, top of the line (the only model available with the 454).

Well will ya look at that! I actually _answered_ a question instead of just _asking_ them all the time!

------------------
'72 350 Malibu
Team Chevelle #528

[This message has been edited by Rookie (edited 02-01-2000).]

·
Registered
181 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong, but aren't true Heavy Chevies rare as heck cause most of them were used as SS clones?

·
Registered
148 Posts
The Heavy Chevy's are more rare than SS's beause they were only produced for a year and a half as Rookie said. The Heavy Chevy came out to help people who wanted an SS but couldn't afford the insurance that when with it.

The interiors of the Heavy Chevy had simulated wood-burl accents on the doors, color keyed rubber floor mats, and distinctive cloth and vinyl upholstery, that destinquished them from an SS or Mailbu. They also had a long black or white stripe down the side of the vehicle, depending on the cars color, and no flapper hood.

AT the risk of getting beat up on, An SS is a Malibu, while a Heavy Chevy is a Chevelle

I almost bought a '72 with the 402 and 4 spd afew years back. needed too much work though
If I ever bought a '71-'72, I'd make it a clone. You don't see many around. plus I have the perfect plate idea for it.

------------------
Richard Dorrough
Tulsa, Ok
'68 Chevelle (CHVLLE)
'70 Nomad
ACES # 789

[This message has been edited by Chvelle (edited 02-02-2000).]

·
Registered
622 Posts
By looking at em, I always assumed it was their weight ! Thanks for clearing that up.

------------------
Gotta have a Chevy !In Durham N.C.
Make it look the way you like it, forget what the other guys say! :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.