Chevelles.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I have three wires coming from a clip on top of the blower motor housing, (blue, red, and yellow) that possibly control two small coils on the underside of the afore mentioned clip.

Also, one red wire coming from a clip on the bottom of the blower motor housing. I'm sure the red one on the bottom is a power wire, but it was tied in with one of the others this past summer so that the heater was constantly on when the ignition was on.

The wires are no longer connected to anything after a 2 hour trip in 100+ missouri weather with vinyl seats.

What should I connect the red wire to?

What are the other wires?

Should anything be connected to the relay in the upper left corner,(to left of the blower motor/above the clip with the two wire coils on the bottom)?

this was an a/c car, but it was taken out.

any pics would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
There’s a schematic in the assembly manual. The little coils are actually resistors. They are selected by the speed control switch to slow the motor in the lower speeds. I show that a black/yellow, black/blue, and a dark blue wire originally went to the resistor assembly.

The red should have a fuse in the line. From the fuse I show a black/orange wire going to the relay. This is a 12 volt power line. It is used only in the blower high speed mode. In high speed mode, the speed control switch closes the relay and this wire provides a full 12 volts to the blower motor.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so if I connect the red wire to a power source the heat should work, but the fan will always be on high?

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
The red wire doesn't control heat. It only runs the fan. The red wire goes to a contact on the relay. Another contact on the relay goes to the fan. When the speed selector switch is selected to high, the coil of the relay energizes, closes the relay and the fan runs on high.
The lower fan speeds get power from the fuseblock. The selector switch uses the resistor assembly and the fan runs slower. The relay isn't used in the slower speeds.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I connected the red wire to the black orange to see if I could get the fan to kick on, (it's gettin' cold here). The fan is on in every position including off, except for "high" where it shuts off.

I can't find a new relay @ work, where can I get one?

Also, what is the other relay to the left of the blower motor. it has a couple prongs coming off the bottom, yet no wires are connected to it. Is this part of the old A/C system?

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Is the coil of the relay getting 12 volts in the high position? If it's not the relay won't close and turn on the fan.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the relay is toast. it's melted on the top where the wires go in.

If I can find a new one I would like to know what wires to hook up where.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Again suggest on getting the schematic out of the assembly manual. It’s easier to work on the circuit. Wires are:
Purple to blower motor on the swinger contact.
Black/orange on the normally open contact.
Dark blue on the normally closed contact.
Orange is coil (+).
Ground is the case.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts