Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 68 malibu and my heater doesn't work. My fan just blows on high and no heat comes out. I was tring to get the fender well out but the screws around the wheel well aren't coming out, and i was wondering if there was any way i could get at the heater core without taking the wheel well out?

·
Registered
425 Posts
Your lack of heat could be caused by several things.

1) Check to make sure you have coolant flowing thru the heater core. With engine hot and running, feel the heater hoses. Are they both HOT. This should be flowing all the time.

2) To get heat, the "trap door" to allow air to flow thru the heater core area must work.
When you work your heater controls can you feel the door working?? You should be able to see the cables by removing the top of your dash pad.

Check the above before you remove the fender.

Bill

L

·
0 Posts
I don't believe it may be totally necessay to drop the inner fender or remove the fender. It's been awhile, but as far as I can remember(at least on a 69), only 1 of the heater box bolts are unreachable because of the inner fender. You can just drill that one out from the inside. No one will ever know.

[This message has been edited by Larry (edited 11-04-99).]

·
Registered
246 Posts
You don't have to remove the entire inner fender as you can leave the bolts that attach to the core support and bend the inner part out of the way. I did this last week and realized that no other part on the car has as many bolts as the inner fender - especially with those old guaranteed-to-break J-nuts.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.