Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 69 Chevelle with A\C and the heater motor sounds like it is going to explode. The motor works fine through all speeds but it sounds like the fan blades are falling off of the shaft. I have heard that you need to remove the fender to get at it, is this true? And also in most cases do you have to replace the whole assembly or just the "squirrel cage". Your help as always will be appreciated.....Scott

------------------

·
Banned
486 Posts
Scott,just replaced mine on my 69 last weekend,Yes the inner fender must come down,but its not to hard to do. My motor worked fine also but its made a nasty sounding noise like the blades rubbing on the housing. Found out after i got it out that the hub in the middle of the cage broke loose from the rest of the cage. Had to replace the motor and the fan. {about 50 bucks} Took a extra day because I had to order the cage nobody had it in stock around here {dallas area} Dave

------------------
team chevelle#196
69 turbocharged 350
texas

W

·
0 Posts
Yep, a bear of a job. I know they sell just the motor for some of these deals, but given the amount of effort required to do this, replace everything and get a new seal kit to reseal the air boxes and all the related nonsense. I did my 67, twice! Heater core took a dump.

I saw a post several weeks back that was good, gave detailed instruction on how to do it. Do a search and try to find it.

------------------
Wally
Gold #67
67 Malibu "Small Block"
90 SS454
71 Malibu "Small Block"
93 torch red vette

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I had a similar problem. When I bought my El Camino, the whole climate control system wasn't hooked up. After I wired it, I noticed how loud the fan was. Eventually I took it off and the clutch thing that mounts the squirrel cage to the motor had a lot of play in it. I just had to take off the hood and the fender. Soon after I went to a salvage yard and got a new, used, motor with the squirrel cage attached for $15-$20. The squirrel cage was different in that this time it was made of plastic and didn't have the clutch thing in the middle. Does that little clutch actually do anything?? I'd like to know.

------------------
1970 Chevy Custom El Camino aka Kaileigh
Green Mist & Silver w/Green Vinyl Top
350ci/300HP 4bbl & Factory Dual Exhaust
Non-SS with Factory Rallies!
TH-350 Automatic - 2.73 Posi Rear
My El Camino Home Page - www.dreamelectric.com

·
Registered
51 Posts
Speakin of heater boxes, my motor was runnin low on water a while back, and the heater wouldn't work, and when I'de slow down to idle, I'de hear a percolating noise under my dash.. Was that superheated water? I figured it was, that's what made me check the water level..

------------------
Scott, 20
Dallas, 70 Chevelle Malibu

·
Registered
622 Posts
speedr8413: what you heard was air in your heater coil. When the system gets low, it circulates air and you can hear it in the coil.Always a good time to check your coolant level when you hear the noise.

------------------
Gotta have a Chevy !In Durham N.C.
Make it look the way you like it, forget what the other guys say!

[This message has been edited by 283v8 (edited 12-29-1999).]

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all your help guys! I guess that will be my first Y2K Project.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.