Chevelles.com banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,409 Posts
"Heater Delete" cars were produced up until around 1968 or so... Maybe some after that, but safety regulations required a defroster, etc...

So heater delete panels were seen on 1964-1967 Chevelles, as well as numerous other cars... Since the panels weren't too desirable until recently (for restorations of high performance cars), so most weren't saved. I think the total early Chevelle production is somewhere around 33,000 Chevelles equipped with the Heater Delete option, "C48".

Most of the plates probably came on lower-end models such as taxis, etc, and others destined for hot climates (exports to Mexico, etc), with some for racers worried about weight and not caring about a heater. By ordering the "Heater Delete", I think the buyer actually got credit back...

As for a A/C delete: I doubt that would exist. Generally, A/C was an "option" that required extra work to the basic body. If a heater delete was ordered, then A/C would not have been ordered, and therefore, no A/C delete plates would be offered...

Generally, A/C was still an option, even today, but most cars seem to come equipped with it... Evenso, I think the Federal law mandates a working defroster, so heater deleltes are no longer an option on newer cars...
For somebody buying a "body-in-white" from the factory to build their own racecar, there wpould not be enough for the factory to justify creating heater delete panels...

I have one of these heater deletes in my Chevelle. Click on the pictures in my signature and you might be able to make out the firewall panel...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts