Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace the heater core in my 1970 chevelle. Anyone know where i can get elementry instructions?

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Why not pick up a Chevelle chassis service manual. There are reprints availible from any of the parts vendors for our cars as well as check local swap meets.

The Hyanes and Chiltons usually do not have enuff specif pictures for me. Good luck.

------------------
DG
Springfield, Ohio
70 Chevelle Malibu

www.wright.edu/~adams.6/chevy.htm

TEAM Chevelle Member #0086

·
Registered
336 Posts
You could get the Haynes manual 69-84 Chevelle book, It is quite detailed and covers all parts of the car, lots of good pictures and factory drawings. The heater core swap is not too hard, did one in my 77 Monte with no instructions, but they would help esp if the car is nice and you don't want to break something beacuse you don't know how to dissassemble it. Also the original dealer shop manuals and factory assembly manuals are available from the resto companies for your car, they are more costly than the Haynes manual which I got for $15?? at autozone.

Frank

------------------

·
Registered
8 Posts
dgreen
I just did the heater core on my 71 and it really wasn't that bad a project, but my entire dash was out and I can imagine it would be a great deal more difficult with it in. The Hayens manual is better than the Chiltons but it doesn't really give that many pictures. Definitely get something before you attempt this, and be carefull because you don't want coolant on your interior.

·
Registered
29 Posts
It is usually a major pain in the gluteus maximus to change a heater core. This said, do the job properly when you take out the core. Replace the gaskets, fix any rust, repaint it etc. while you have the thing apart. The parts aren't expensive - it's just the work involved. Best bet is to pick up the service manual (as has already been suggested), and go to it. Good luck.

·
Registered
32 Posts
One thing I would suggest in addition to the instructions in the service manual. Go ahead and take out all or most of the bolts for the inner fender liner rather than prop it open with a 2X4. It takes less overall time and makes access easier and cuts down on the skinned knuckles. Steve

·
Registered
12,948 Posts
When you do get the old one out, take it with you to the parts store and compare. Parts like this are notorious for being wrong when you get home with it.

------------------

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.