Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having difficulty pulling out my old heater core for replacement. All the books I have do not show diagrams of the units and parts to be removed. Is it just me or is chevelle a particularly difficult core to pull. By the way my '71 car has a/c. Any ideas?????

·
Registered
75 Posts
Dennis,

I have a 70 with A/C. The heater core is located inside the distribution box found under the dash on the passenger side. There are 4 nuts in each corner on the fire wall around the A/C blower. Remove those nuts and heater hoses.

Also remove the distribution duct work from this unit and also unplug the group of vacumm hoses that come from the a/c dash control. Unplug the connector plug with all the hoses attached (don't unplug the individual ones!)

You can now pull the unit forward into the passenger compartment. There are 4-6 screws that retain the cover of the heater core (this cover was previously agaist the firewall) remove the cover.

Unfasten the core and remove. Be sure to seal the cover up agin using plumbers putty or a seal from any of the restoration catalogs.

Good Luck!

--Andy--

·
Registered
131 Posts
Go to http://www.d-p-g.com/musclecar/Nov97/eS.htm. This will tell you pretty much everything you need to know and in addition has photos of the process. My '70's never had A/C, and they had five bolts on the firewall - it was the fifth bolt that usually required most of the inner fender bolts to have to be removed also ...

------------------
Stan Hanek
'66 SS - 396 4 sp.
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by Stan (edited 12-27-1999).]

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Those pesky little inner fender bolts have to be removed so you can get to the bottom nut. Once you have the four nuts loose and another bolt or nut on the inside on top of the box. That one is really hard to get to. That job should be about 4-6hrs long just take your time.

------------------
Malibu 307 (aka 406 smblk)
69 SS 396(aka 454)
Wolf in sheeps skin

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.