Chevelles.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been redoing my dashboard. I finally went to install it this weekend.
However, when I went to put it back in the car, I noticed that one of my wires had melted the insulation off. I can't figure out why it did this. My suspicion is that it rubbed through and shorted itself out.

However, I'm not sure what this wire does and what its purpose is. It has 12v when the ignition is on. It is black with a purple stripe. It connects up with a brown wire, and they continue on as a brown wire to the heater controls. Anyone know why there needs to be 2 wires connected together like this?

Am I safe in assuming that it just shorted itself and just tape up the wire?

Thanks.

------------------
Randy Johnson
70 Chevelle
[email protected]
1.766 60 ft.
Pictures

·
Registered
222 Posts
Hi Rich;

I've a similar issue (mind may be a bit hazy, having my Velle for 23 years) that I've similar brown wire to a connector not used ( just hanging, not used, don't think heater, haven't wrapped either !)
thats melted. I'll check, let you know
Nice Chevelle you got there, but what's up with the "SS" badge? OK, I guess clones might be OK if done tastefully. Yours seems pretty tasteful. Nice job!!

mfinger1
'70 SS 402

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Off-hand I can't think of a purple/black wire off the ignition switch wiring. Was this car originally built as a factory A/C car? If it was not, there's a brown used off a pink or pink stripped wire that goes to the heater switch. This line runs through the switch and provides power to the blower motor. Always best to cut out a rubbed and burnt section and solder in a new piece of wire.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, it is a factory AC car. I will cut out the wire and replace.

As far as the SS badge, I just like the looks of it. I don't like a plain grille, and I don't like the grille with the bowtie. I think it looks so much better with the SS. I'm not trying to create a clone, I just want my car to look "right". I also don't want to chop up an original SS car.

------------------
Randy Johnson
70 Chevelle
[email protected]
1.766 60 ft.
Pictures

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
That wire is the power feed to the TCS, it’s routed to the bulkhead connector then to the engine harness (pink wire) to the TCS relay. In 70 the TCS gets power from the heat A/C fuse and is connected to the brown A/C feed wire, A/C and Gauge dash harnesses only. On heat only harnesses the same p/black wire is connected directly to the A/C fuse (the fuse block marking is the same on A/C or heat only cars “A/C…..TCS SOL”). If the under hood TCS pink lead gets grounded the insulation burns rather than blowing the 25 A fuse. For 71+ the TCS gets power from the radio fuse (10 A).

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
TCS is Transmission Controlled Spark. It blocks vacuum advance until the engine warms up or trans is in high gear. It is typically disconnected and parts removed. I would just clip the p/black wire at the brown wire and forget about it.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Elree
Your memory is always better than mine on these things. At work still and having my usual brain slips. The poster indicated (I think) that this wire was under the dash. The only brown wire I could think of, that tied to another wire, was the heater fan on a non-A/C. Maybe I'm think of the 71/72 stuff again. Couldn't think of any purple/black wire
Doesn't the dash harness still have a brown wire in either set-up (A/C or non-A/C), that runs up to the heater switch?
John

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
John

Yes either harness has a brown power supply wire for the heat or a/c. On the heat only the TCS is the only thing connected to the top “A/C TCS SOL” fuse in this case the fuse should be 10 A not 25 as marked on the block. The brown heater power comes from the 4th from the top marked “DIR HEAT BU”. On any harness with A/C the TCS power supply p/black wire is connected to the end of the brown A/C power wire.

The factory wiring diagram shows the heat only configuration except that the p/black wire is identified as pink.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts