Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have my dash out of my 1966 El Camino and want to lube the cables before reassembly. Does anyone know what works good? Thanks - Rex

·
Gold Founding Member
1,347 Posts
PB Blaster is a spray type penetrating oil like WD40 it works super I get it at pep boys try auto store or hardware store MIKE

·
Registered
423 Posts
Try going by a large bicycle shop that specializes in (big buck) mountain bikes. See what they use for the cable (and chain) lube.

Wes.

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
Along the lines of Wes's post. If you use a bike lube look for Tri-Flo or White Lightening Lube. I always used those two on my DH race bike.(read: big bucks, I spent more on that bike than I have into my car right now) My friend tried my White Lightening on his boats accelerator cable that was sticking and it freed it up as good as new. It was a cheap fix that worked well until he had the money to buy a new cable.

------------------
Steve
64SS-327-4spd

[This message has been edited by Steve D 64 SS (edited 03-27-99).]

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone for the help !! I used to ride mountain bikes and have some Schwinn chain lube in the shop. I will try that.
Thanks again - Rex

·
Registered
423 Posts
Tri-flo (Tri-flow?) is the product that I was thinking about when I made the earlier post. I just couldn't think of the name.

Yes, bicycles get into the big bucks! I REALLY want a Serotta Titanium frame (road bike) but the three thousand for frame and fork puts it in the dream range. I think a ZZ4 engine would make more sense at this point.

Wes.

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
Tri-Flow, good stuff! PB Blaster good too! There's also another product that u can get at any John Deere Tractor dealer ( can't think of the name) it's a penentrate/lubricate,work's great.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Although WD-40 would be good to use to clean/free up the cables it won't last long. Follow with a good light grease like lithium grease.

------------------
Steve Strasemeier (70SS)

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
Yup Wes, I left out the W! As far as that bike goes I've got roughly 2700 bucks into it. It is a full on DH racing bike though 6 inches of travel up front and 5 in the rear!

------------------
Steve
64SS-327-4spd

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.