Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

Registered
1964 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu 4 door
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is a no brainer but wanted to put the word out. Usually when you buy new rotors you just worry about the packing grease on the face. I just got new rotors from Napa, thinking good quality, no problems.

When I broke the sealed bag open and pulled the rotor out by the bearing journal it was full of casting slag. This would kill bearings and spindles in no time flat.

I used a toothbrush sized wire brush, flat blade to knock heavier stuff off, and red brakleen to clean them up. Good luck!

Administrator
Take it back. Casting slag really should not be anywhere near the rotor at the point of boxing. They are cast offshore like all rotors are thanks to the EPA. Machining is done in the USA or Canada. Then they go through a cleaning, inspection and then boxing. I would be worried that something more could be wrong than just slag in the packaging.
I work at a NAPA store and have never seen one like that. The store will exchange it for one that is ready to use. Not sure which grade of rotor you purchased or for what application but even the least expensive rotor is ready to use out of the box. Can you post the part number or a photo of the box label?

Registered
1964 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu 4 door
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I appreciate the reply. I was taken back by this and alerted my buddy at the store that this happened. He didn't seem to be surprised or asked me to bring them back.

I was wondering why they would have installed races while it was still unclean?

Boxes were taped, looked unmolested, rotors were sealed in heavy plastic bags, thin squarees of wood were placed over the snout/studs.

Working on a 64 with 70ish disc upgrade. Bought inexpensive as I'll be going bigger, just getting it road worthy for inspection.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts