Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys-My name is Dave-I had the question about white interior you were all so helpful with-I am restoring a 1970 SS with the original LS5 454-So I'm trying to start out on the right foot and not do an injustice this car! Here's the next question-I bought the correct buckets for this car but no headrests-are bench seat headrest compatible? Also, how difficult is it to find a new wiring harness for power windows? Lastly, I've had a few chevelles in the past and always thought the factory tires, (which always used) were too narrow-any recommendations as to what size tire would fill out the car better? Or is factory size the only real option? I've seen a few with wider tires and thought they looked a little more 'formidable'? What's your thoughts?
Thanks in advance for all you expertise!!!
Dave

L

·
0 Posts
Bucket seat and Bench seat headrests are different and do not interchange. Bucket seat headrests have 2 posts, while the bench headrests uses a single flat bar.

As for wheels and tires, you're only limited by your imagination. You're certainly not limited by stock sizes, which were definitely on the skinny side. You'll get a lot of opinions on what looks good though. My preference...15x7 up front with 245/60/15...and in back 15x8 with 275/60/15. Backspacing would 4" in front and 4.5" out back. Again, that's just my opinion. But you could also sqeeze in the back a 15x10 wheel(5.5" backspacing) with 28x12 tire (McCreary, M/T, etc.). That would look very good.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Dave,

As far as tires go, they are reproducing the original type tires which are an exact replica of the the factory tires if you are trying for a 100% restoration.

Coker Tires sells them.. a place in Dallas, TX does as well.

You just have to decide what you want. Maybe a set of Custom wheels AND a set of Original SS wheels and tires.

Good luck.
Len

·
Registered
321 Posts
Concerning headrests:

Bench vs. Bucket - incompatible as stated above.

My 70SS with a white interior came to me (not the factory) with out headrests. Headrests were federally mandated by that time, so I started looking for a set of headrests used for buckets.

What I found is that the headrests from the Astro buckets of ANY GM A-body (Grand Prix, Monte Carlo, Cutlass, Elky, etc.) are the same. In fact the headrests I have now came out of a 70 Grand Prix. I've compared them with a "real" Chevelle's and they are identical. I've also seen a yellow Cutlass convertible in my neighborhood with buckets and again, the headrests are the same.

I think that our sponsor Ground Up has reproduction headrest availible. Good quality used ones are kinda hard to come by, especially in your/my color. I had to dye a nice set of brown ones white. I'll do the pearl dying later

------------------
??michael j Team Chevelle Gold #77
70 Chevelle SS396 4sp, Fathom Blue/White Stripes - Canadian built

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.