Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if it is possible to install headrests on the standard Chevelle bucket seat if the seat did not originally come with headrests? I am thinking there may be a way to remove the plastic rear panel and install hardware to attach the headrest to.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Yes there is!!! You would need to remove the seat back cover and the vinyl on the seat. Two holes (maybe one inch??) have to punched where the (plastic) bushings go into the shell of the bucket, also into the foam and cover. The plastic back cover does not get modified.

I think you would at this point need to have the seat recovered with the bushing holes cut into the material.

My buckets had the headrests and I removed them before getting them recovered. It seemed like someone had added them after the fact because i dont think 68 chevelles had a headrest as an option, although other A-bodies did.

Hope I didnt confuse you. Scott

·
Premium Member
6,771 Posts
Headrests were available in 68 as an option (RPO A81 in buckets & RPO A82 bench)... They are the same as the 69-72 in appearance but totally different in the way they slide into the top of the seats. The holes in the steel are punched out and ready for the hardware that is impossible to get. The rods slide into plastic sleeves which are unique to 68's. They also do not have locks on the escutcheons which are the same color as the seat and not chrome like the 69-72.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
71SSBB,

I almost, no, I do feel like an idiot after selling mine on Ebay. Paid $90 for the seats and got $80 for the complete headrest setup. Thought I was the money makerThey were exactly what you are talking about. I had no idea they were that rare! Damn me!

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
So what is the final verdict? Is it easy to retrofit 69-72 headrests to '68 seats, assuming one is not worried about it looking 100% "correct"?

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
Yes you can install the headrests from 69 - 72 buckets on the 68 seats. You will need to enlarge the hole for the plastic guides. A good source for the 2 plastic guides and 2 metal plates, each seat, is 69 to 72 Buick Riviera and some Oldsmobile's with strato bench seat. Easer to find than bucket seats.

Here's a link to an e-bay auction for 68 Chevelle buckets with headrests. Too late to bid on but may be re-listed.

·
Premium Member
15,343 Posts
Originally posted by Elree Colby:
Yes you can install the headrests from 69 - 72 buckets on the 68 seats. You will need to enlarge the hole for the plastic guides. A good source for the 2 plastic guides and 2 metal plates, each seat, is 69 to 72 Buick Riviera and some Oldsmobile's with strato bench seat. Easer to find than bucket seats.

Here's a link to an e-bay auction for 68 Chevelle buckets with headrests. Too late to bid on but may be re-listed.
I definitely feel I got a better deal than those seats Elree. Thank you !

1 - 11 of 11 Posts