Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i know ive heard it before get a pro to do it
but im just set on doing it myself i have a 67 chevelle ss and i need all the help and advice i can get where do it start and where should i end what tools do i need if i can tear down a 396 put it back together and make it run like dream im bound to put a little ole headliner in thanxs guys

·
Premium Member
4,476 Posts
I've heard it [a headliner install] can make a grown man or a grown woman cry!

But if you take it upon yourself, I understand a heat-gun is almost a must! It quickly takes care of any sags or runs and makes sure everything is set in place after you have glued it to the proper places.

Good luck! (I think I'll stick with seat upholstery, even though I thought that was lousy!
)

·
Registered
543 Posts
take the back window out. use a tarp or something to protect the upholstery from that glue, be sure to get the right glue. mark the bows as you take them out, and measure the centerline of the new material. start from the front and work your way back, keep your hands clean. well worth the 225 to have it done believe me

·
Registered
436 Posts
hey, im just a kid and i did it on my 68 just fine. i dont exactly know all about 67's, but for mine i worked from the centers of the sides to the corners. i used the clips out of the metal side rails to hold the headliner where i wanted it until the glue set as i worked, and filed a plastic putty knife down to push the material under the strips. i didnt have any sags, but some ripples from pulling it so tight, so i used a hair dryer to loosen up the material and let the ripples work themselves out. i didn't take out the rear window, but if you don't mind contorting your body it isn't a problem. put all the screws in before you do it so you dont have to search for the holes. i ended up using self tapping screws for the dome light!

------------------
Russ B.

'68 Chevelle 396 ht

...nice first car, huh?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.